Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Tank height (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/tank-height-40038/)

rfanslow 03-28-2010 09:25 PM

Tank height

Hi, I'm new to the forum

I'm looking to fill a space with a large aquarium, problem is tho the space I want to take up (height wise) isn't even close to being able to be filled up with the highest stand/tank combo I have seen.

Let me explain to be very clear... I have a 6' by 25" by 7' 6" (more W if required) space L x W x H area that used to be a built in indoor planter.

Now I want to put a large tank in there but nothing I see is more then about 35" tall .

By my figuring 30-35" tall stand 12" hood = 43" of tank height (aka more water space)

So am I stupid to want more tank and less stand/hood then the commonly manufactured heights.. or is there a golden rule (aka greater then 35" = even thicker glass?

Just tell me I'm crazy if this made absolutely no sense

rfanslow 03-28-2010 09:27 PM

P.s. I'm not currently into aquariums but I'm not new to them

rsn48 03-28-2010 10:19 PM

You can get custom built aquariums to fill an unusual space, needless to say the price will reflect the "custom" work.

The deeper your tank is the more problems you will have with lighting reaching the bottom of the tank; this is especially true if you are planning a planted tank, which are the best looking tanks in my opinion.

Servicing a deeper tank could get quite interesting as well, from planting, re-arranging, and vacuuming substrate could pose a problem.

Here's a link to some standard size aquariums and you will none of them are as deep as you are considering. You can work with a tank the size you are contemplating but you will have problems to solve, like "how much light:"

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=53

You will see some tanks that are 30 inches high in the link provided.

karjean 03-28-2010 10:56 PM

If you custom the tank, please keep us informed with some pictures and updates. You might make a few of us anvy you....

Austin 03-28-2010 11:42 PM

Ya, lighting could be a problem. But you could be fine. Lot's of plants like low light. I'd go with a custom tank that sounds like it's pretty big. Not sure if a standard tank will work for that particular space.

Zynthesis 04-07-2010 12:32 AM

There are alot of tanks that would fit that space. They would be in the 125+ gallon range. I'm kinda spoiled because we have local store that carries all sorts of large tanks, they basically just have a show room with huge tanks. I would start at 155 gallons. Usually tanks are around the same length but they differ in width. Due to lighting standards. If you havent already, check your Local fish stores to see what they have sitting there. Good rule of thumb too is, usually if it's a big tank it's probably been sitting at their shop for awhile and i'm sure the owner wouldn't mind just making 200 bucks off the tank to open the space up that it's been occupying.

Zynthesis

Byron 04-07-2010 06:19 PM

A space like you have cries out for an open-top tank with plants growingh above the surface and possibly other "house" type plants hanging from the ceiling of the alcove with roots and such into the tank. This is basic, you could expand it with a waterfall, small land area, etc.

If that alcove was previously a planter, are there lights in the ceiling? Recessed pot lights with spot or flood bulbs would be ideal in such a situation, and they create wonderful lighting effects in the aquarium that can't be matched by fluorescents. And with aerial plants growing a foot or two above the water, even more stunning an effect. And six feet in length is a good size for this.

karjean 04-07-2010 07:29 PM

Your imagination and budget are the only items that will hold you back. As for lighting, anything is possible as long as it meets your local electrical authority. Just keep us up to date on the decision and progress.