Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Petsmart Tube Plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/petsmart-tube-plants-40015/)

Nicknac44 03-28-2010 02:48 PM

Petsmart Tube Plants

Alright I bought 2 "tube-plants" at petsmart yesterday without doing some research....I know it was not my shining moment. Anyway I bought these 2 plants, one is a trichomanes javanicum and the other is a selaginella wildenowii. I googled both and got mixed reviews about both in aquariums. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Any help will be appreciated because even if they can't make it in an aqaurium I still want to keep them alive!

Angel079 03-28-2010 03:39 PM

Both them are fern type plant that will not thrive nor survive long term under water so you best bet is a pot in your house where you keep it moist (roots only).

If you want true aquatic plants look here www.sweetaquatics.com 9 times outta 10 any & all of these very plants described by you found at petstores are simply not aquatic plants and will only last a very limited time fully submersed.

redchigh 03-28-2010 04:02 PM

They're probably "bog plants". They'll eventually die submerged...

I think a terrarium is the best way to grow them...
It's pretty easy to make a terrarrium... Just get a gallon jar (or flour jar that you can set on it's side would work well)
put 1-2 inches of peat moss in the bottom, with an inch or so of soil on top. Mist the plants, and put them in a sunny window with the lid on.

If they grow well emersed, you could try hanging them on the side of the fish tank so the roots are under water... (I have lucky bamboo in one of my tanks... Seems to be growing well.)

Aqua Jon 05-30-2010 03:45 AM

I know this is a late post, but if you do get plants from petsmart tubes again, they only sell a few true aquatic plants. Anacharis, Java Fern, & Hygrophila difformis. I have purchased the later two and both are thriving in my 10 gallon (with appropriate nutrients added). Petsmart does not label these tube plants as aquatic, but rather "Live Plants" as options for turtles, frogs, lizards, etc. BUT any employee will sell you because either they don't know better or they hope you don't know better. Some stores have tanks with variable species, but you will really have to do your homework to get a good plant. I have also bought a few of these. I'm deprived of any decent local fish stores - of course the only good one within 20 miles was shut down >.<

IMHO, go to Sweet Aquatics! The next tank I plant will be a fat shipment from SA. They are competitively priced, knowledgeable (active on this forum too), and from what I hear do fantastic business.

trukgirl 06-03-2010 03:36 PM

I too made the same mistake of buying a few non true aquatic plants from Petsmart.

I definitely second Sweet Aquatics. Every plant I got from them was awesome!

teddyzaper 06-10-2010 12:57 AM

my petco has a tank system with plants under water, and ive only seen 1 non aquatic plant in there