Tropical Fish Keeping banner

leaf fish

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  damselfish 
#1 ·
Well maybe soemone will answer here

Hello people i am new on this forum but i have years of experience as aquariumfish owner mostly cichlids species ... recently i have been thinking of giving my self a lil chalenge : owning and breading leaf fish Monocirrhus Polyacanthus
So i am asking for some help
sorry for my bad english Nikola

#4 ·
Thanks Skottysgirl you are nice :)
Thanks Daz i know quite about leaf but only from articles i got no experience that is why i am asking for help ....so i gues you had some experience with them. Have you tyried breading them and what hapened if you did - that is the question i am most interested in .
Monocirrhus Polyacanthus some pics i found (not mine)

#6 ·
Sorry Nikola I have no hands on exprience. All I know is what I have read. To breed soft water, slightly acidic. And after the spawning remove the female to allow the male look after the young Leafy's. Sorry but that's about it. :)

#7 ·
Yes they are freshwather Damselfish. They can be found in Brasil, Venecuela... mostly in Amazon basin not endangered specie because of good mimicrie - they are like cameleons changing color to fit enviroment. They are not expensive to byu i heard somewhere its 7-10 Euros but the main thing is they EAT ONLY FISH - LIVE FISH so just feeding them might be expensive and they also have demands like Discus low Dh, ph<7 and lots of water refreshment also you cant have any fish smaler than their mouth in same tank even its own species, but they are not agresive to biger fish so they can be kept in same shaded and stillwater tank along with not juvenile discus or some other calm, non agresive and reletively big species (trichogaster for example).
Thanks Daz for your help as you see i know all the numbers and facts about them so if you know anyone that kept this fish i would be grateful if you give me that persons email or something else for contact.
I know for sure that in my country there are no aquariums with leaf fish and soon i will try to find a contact from south America that can send some fish here in Europe or maybe i could import it from somewhere else ...i heard it is inhabited somewhere in Asia by mistake of aquarist same as Bass here in Serbia :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.