Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Cichlids in a 17 US gal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/cichlids-17-us-gal-40000/)

1stAquarium 03-28-2010 08:31 AM

Cichlids in a 17 US gal?

I have a 29 (US) gal community tank, an 8 gal tank with african dwarf frogs and a male betta, and a 17 gal tank which currently has baby bettas in after my first betta breeding attempt. I am wanting to move the baby bettas into a breeding box so I can get some slightly more 'advanced' fish and eventually try to breed them.

My question is are there any cichlids I can keep in a 17 US gal tank? It has a Fluval U2 filter, a 50 watt heater, and lighting. I really like the ram cichlids but don't know much about them at the moment. I am going to start researching them but thought I would ask on here as well. What cichlids, if any, would I be able to keep in this tank? Preferably something I can eventually try to breed.

Bukooblunt 03-29-2010 02:21 AM

I doubt it, cichlids require a 50 gallon or more, but hey thats coming from a guy whos keeping a pleco in a 20 gal lol

mollies 03-29-2010 02:27 AM

Bukooblunt not all cichlids require a 50 gallon or more. Just the most common cichlids.
Ok yes you can it realy depends how well you keep your tank.
With that said you could keep a pair of Julidochromis Transcriptus. I wouldnt do any more then that tho.
I believe The are a African shell dweller cichlid not sure tho.

iamntbatman 03-29-2010 06:46 AM

Yep, dwarf shelldwellers would do fine, especially if the tank has a decent amount of floor space. Pretty much any other dwarf cichlid would work in that size tank, albeit probably not more than a pair for most of them. Apistogramma, kribensis, nannacara, rams, etc. I'd probably make the choice based on your water parameters more than anything else.

aunt kymmie 03-29-2010 11:36 AM

+1 to batman.
I saw some really cute shellies at my LFS yesterday. Wish I had more room or another tank, I would have brought them home!

1stAquarium 03-29-2010 01:41 PM

Thanks guys. I really do like the rams and saw some in my LFS the other day. But would I be able to keep any other fish with them?
Posted via Mobile Device

1stAquarium 03-30-2010 01:03 PM

Or with kribensis?
Posted via Mobile Device

iamntbatman 03-31-2010 04:18 AM

Sure. Blue rams prefer higher water temperatures than many tropical fish so you have to be careful with what you pick. But in either case, peaceful schooling fish like tetras, rasboras, etc. should be just fine. If you're trying to breed them I'd avoid fish that will really actively try to go after the eggs/fry or other semi-aggressive fish (i.e. I wouldn't add a ram to a tank with a krib pair, for example).

1stAquarium 03-31-2010 01:29 PM

Thanks! I'm thinking a pair of kribs or rams, 5 or 6 tetras or rasboras, and would a small bottom dweller or two be ok as well? Do all cories like to be in shoals?
Posted via Mobile Device

1stAquarium 03-31-2010 01:36 PM

Ive just had another thought; would a school of cherry barbs be ok with a pair of rams or kribs in the 17 gal? Cos I have a pair of cherries in my community tank and would really like to get them some friends! If not I could move the neon tetras out of the community tank into the 17 gal with the cichlids when I get them, and work on the cherry barbs in my community tank?
Posted via Mobile Device