Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   RTC (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/rtc-3994/)

Spikeoli 03-08-2007 06:42 AM

RTC

hey i just signed up here as i needed some advice. Recently did alot of research and bought myself an RTC. hes only 3 inches long at the moment and i know hes meant to grow massive etc and have already got plans underway for a suitable tank as he grows

the problem i have at the moment is amazingly....he wont eat anything! all the sites i've read up on have said these fish are eating machines and will happily snack away on most things but my little fella isnt eating anything i give him. So far have tried out normal pellets, flakes, vegetation and shrimp. As well as the tablets suggested for the rtc and hes not having any of it

any advice would be great

caferacermike 03-08-2007 06:46 AM

Mods please move to freshwater. RTC is red tailed catfish.

It'll most likely need live foods like shrimp, night crawlers, baby mice to get it started.

Lupin 03-08-2007 06:49 PM

Welcome.:wave:

When did you last bought the RTC? Either it still feels lost to its new surroundings or it is not in good health. I would also ask for your water parameters. For accurate readings, API Freshwater Master Test Kit is your best bet.:)

Spikeoli 03-09-2007 07:19 AM

ph6-ph7 is correct for an RTC? thing is i recently had to clear out the tank after a live food portion went seriously wrong. Need to re-decorate but waiting till i know the most appropriate for a growing RTC, have been shopping around for a shelter for him but no luck so far. I've read that when hungry it will become more active. hes started moving around alot more now i'm going to try some more shrimp today but i'm worried my RTC is just a picky eater :(

going to ask in the shop what food in particular they were feeding him

musho3210 03-09-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spikeoli
ph6-ph7 is correct for an RTC? thing is i recently had to clear out the tank after a live food portion went seriously wrong. Need to re-decorate but waiting till i know the most appropriate for a growing RTC, have been shopping around for a shelter for him but no luck so far. I've read that when hungry it will become more active. hes started moving around alot more now i'm going to try some more shrimp today but i'm worried my RTC is just a picky eater :(

going to ask in the shop what food in particular they were feeding him

How large is the tank, what filter, any direct sunlight, please answer the questions that were asked in the sticky

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
2. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or saltwater?
3. How long the aquarium has been setup
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
6. What make/model filter are you using?
7. Are you using a CO2 unit?
8. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
9. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
10.How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
11.Is your aquarium light incandescent or fluorescent and how often is it kept on?
12.What specific concerns bring you in with a water sample at this time?