Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy q's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-qs-3987/)

Terrainosaur 03-07-2007 10:37 PM

Guppy q's

Hi. I've finally got a cycled tank and the 6 male guppies seem insanely happy. They swim around a lot, eat everything I feed them and play in the bubble curtain.

1. Is this as many guppies as I should put in this 6g tank?
2. They chase each other and bump into each other a lot, though I don't see any damaged fins. Is this normal? Is it acceptable?
3. What is Melafix? Why do people mention it when nippers are brought up?
4. Why do stores sell male and females together, and why do people suggest buying them together, knowing they will breed and overstock?

Terrainosaur 03-07-2007 10:41 PM

Sorry, didn't have my sig on.

daisycutter 03-08-2007 12:26 AM

1.6 is about the limit for a 6g i think
2.as long as there not damaging or stressing each other this is fine
3.MELAFIX from API Rapidly repairs open wounds, damaged fins, red ulcers and cloudy eyes (text stolen from site :D )
4.stores dont always seperate them either they came as is from a supplier or out of lack of space i keep breeding guppies and can sell young very easily most people find it more interesting to see there fish reproduce

any help :wink:

Terrainosaur 03-08-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisycutter
2.as long as there not damaging or stressing each other this is fine

How do I tell?

Mike 03-08-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrainosaur
Sorry, didn't have my sig on.

Hi, can you please move your tank description from your signature to your Tank Blurb? We are trying to encourage every member to do it. The Tank Blurb will allow anyone who is interested in seeing the contents of your tank to see it by putting their cursor over the button that says "tank(s)" below each of your posts. It will also make topics much more readable because tank descriptions will not be repeated in everyone's signature.

You can also click that button and create a detailed profile for each of your tanks, complete with parameter logging if you wish, or click the button under other members' posts to see any tanks they've added to the system.

Thanks,
Admin :)

Terrainosaur 03-08-2007 05:28 PM

I think I got it fixed.

Lupin 03-08-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

How do I tell?

Constant chasing and bullying of larger guppies to their smaller members will simply cause stress to the smaller ones. Fin nipping is frequently seen in a tank occupied only by male guppies hence it is a good idea to keep a Melafix in case of emergencies.

Terrainosaur 03-09-2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
... it is a good idea to keep a Melafix in case of emergencies.

Let's say one of them gets nipped fins. Then what?

daisycutter 03-10-2007 03:34 PM

google it ive never used the stuff so its an unknown

musho3210 03-10-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
... it is a good idea to keep a Melafix in case of emergencies.

Let's say one of them gets nipped fins. Then what?

Melafix is a highly reccomended fin healer, if your fish has ripped fins, treat with melafix