Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Platinum Barb bully (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/platinum-barb-bully-39860/)

dustinthewind2 03-25-2010 09:21 PM

Platinum Barb bully

I think I put this thread in the wrong place the first time, so hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I haven't had a fish tank in a while, but I decided to get one again recently. I went to the pet store and the Platinum Barb's stood out to me because they seemed every active and playful. So I bought three of them and an algae eater. It was immediately evident that one particular barb was highly aggressive towards the other two barbs. I thought this was fine at first, that they were just playing, but he seems so aggressive. The two calmer barbs will just be chilling at the bottom of the tank or calmly swimming along, and the aggressive one will just start chasing it all around the tank, nipping at the other fish. I haven't noticed any physical damage to the two barbs so far, but should I be worried about the aggressive one? Is he stressing out the other two fish or is it all in fun? Any insight on this would be great, thanks!

aunt kymmie 03-25-2010 09:23 PM

Typically barbs need to be in a group to spread out aggression, ensuring that no one particular individual is signaled out for constant harrasment. What size is your tank??

dustinthewind2 03-25-2010 09:26 PM

The tank is um... size 14, it says, which I think is 14 or 15 gallons? The pet shop said as long as I get three or more they would be fine, so I just got the three and plan to add more slowly.

aunt kymmie 03-25-2010 09:43 PM

I'm going to have to google Platinum barbs; I have no idea on their adult size.
What species algae eater??

dustinthewind2 03-25-2010 09:54 PM

I think they only grow to be about 3" long. Right now they're about 1.5 or 2"
The algae eater is totally fine, they never mess with him. He's about the same size as they are but they ignore him and he ignores them.

aunt kymmie 03-25-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinthewind2 (Post 350920)
I think they only grow to be about 3" long. Right now they're about 1.5 or 2"
The algae eater is totally fine, they never mess with him. He's about the same size as they are but they ignore him and he ignores them.

Just curious as to the type to know what his full adult size is going to be.

dustinthewind2 03-25-2010 10:08 PM

Oh sorry, I think it's a pleco

aunt kymmie 03-25-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinthewind2 (Post 350938)
Oh sorry, I think it's a pleco

Hummm...different plecos grow to different sizes. The common pleco reaches 18", the bristlenose only reaches 4 to 6. I'm still not finding platinum barb info on google. Definitive info anyway.

dustinthewind2 03-25-2010 11:31 PM

Sorry about the delay in reply, I had to go out. They're actually just a color-type of Tiger Barbs I believe. And yes, the algae eater is a bristlenose I'm pretty sure.
What would you suggest about the Barbs? Do I need to add more ASAP to make a bigger school or is it that my tank is too small? I told the pet store my tank size before I bought them and they didn't say anything about it.

aunt kymmie 03-25-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinthewind2 (Post 351024)
Sorry about the delay in reply, I had to go out. They're actually just a color-type of Tiger Barbs I believe. And yes, the algae eater is a bristlenose I'm pretty sure.
What would you suggest about the Barbs? Do I need to add more ASAP to make a bigger school or is it that my tank is too small? I told the pet store my tank size before I bought them and they didn't say anything about it.

Those darn pet stores! Tiger barbs can reach three inches full grown, really do need to kept in a group of six, and from everything I've read they should be in a 55gl. The require lots of room and are very active. I wonder if you can exchange them for something more appropriate for your size tank?