Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   Sweet! Projects? (SNAKE WARNING) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/sweet-projects-snake-warning-39852/)

CodeRed 03-25-2010 07:57 PM

Sweet! Projects? (SNAKE WARNING)

Well, I've just received the A-okay to set up my large 55 gallon for my two corn snakes. I'll be divided down the middle, so co-habitation will NOT occur. I'm REALLY excited, because right now I only have space for one of the large tanks in my room, so I'm missing out on one of my babies. This will allow both demons to be in my room, so it'll save space in the long run.
Some of you will remember that this WAS going to be a sorority, but money proved to be an issue, and I was allowed a corn snake instead. A recent find of mine will make this a VERY cheap switch, when it would've been quite expensive. My dad always used silk plants to decorate his house, and I had thought that those got thrown away when his house was cleaned out... I think everyone can guess that I've gotten news that WE HAVE THEM! This is an entire garbage bag full, which will save me about FIFTY bucks. Greenery was the one thing holding me back from setting up the tank, and now that I have it I can get going with this project! All I need now is some aspen bedding (will end up being about 15 bucks), a tank divider (less than 1 dollar), and a couple of logs (can be done without a single cent being spent). I have the tank heaters already, have their water bowls, having some hides already.... so this should be a very easy, smooth switch. I cannot wait to get this going. I'm cleaning out the tank tonight, and tomorrow will start to bleach the plants and look for some logs I can bake to put in :3

Here are my plans....
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1269560729

So, now that I've rambled about MY project, I want to know if anyone else has a project they're working on? A new tank, a new room, a new house? Are you as excited about it as I am? Speak! If you are, PICTURES! Even if they have to be crappy paint ones like mine :P

ALSO, here are going to be the inhabitants...

Demonic Spitfire/Raek:: (A whopping 20 inches)
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1269561118

Sweetie Pie Aris/Ariston:: (A minuscule 14 inches)
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1269561297
Can you spot them in the tank picture? XD

Those of the betta forums have probably figured out that I CANNOT resist showing off my babies (;

vaygirl 03-25-2010 08:03 PM

I CAN spot them! They are SO beautiful. What do they eat? I want one! I think that plan looks great. And fun!

Tomorrow I'm setting up a 10 or 15 gallon for my King betta and then bringing home a dwarf puffer to put in his established 6 gallon. I have four new pieces of small driftwood coming and new water wisteria that I'm HOPING will have snails hitch-hiking (if anyone has pest snails they'd like to send my way, please pm me. I'll pay for shipping!). Kilo will be loving life. He's 3 inches now and too big for a 6 gallon. He's so restless! And I've wanted a puffer for SO long now.

Yay for projects! :D

aunt kymmie 03-25-2010 08:05 PM

Just out of curiouosity, why no cohabitation? I kept my boas together, no problem. Is it different with corn snakes?? Your set up looks like it's going to be really nice!

dramaqueen 03-25-2010 08:07 PM

Your plans sound great! I'm glad you found those silk plants and can save some money. You'll have to show us pics when it's all done. Yes, I spotted the snakes in the tank pic. :)

Jupiter 03-25-2010 08:10 PM

How exciting! You definitely need to show us pics, I love looking at your snakes!

Only 'project' I'm doing is changing the filter media and re-decorating my HM's side this weekend. xD

CodeRed 03-25-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 350747)
Just out of curiouosity, why no cohabitation? I kept my boas together, no problem. Is it different with corn snakes?? Your set up looks like it's going to be really nice!

Corn snake hatching have been known to be cannibals ;x
Not to mention, see as I have no idea what their genders are, it's entirely possible for them to breed FAR too early, and cause one to become eggbound. If one got pregnant this young it would, without a doubt, kill them.

Corn snakes generally eat mice, with the very large corns getting small rats. Hatchlings (which mine basically are) eat once every five days, and that time keeps getting longer as the age until they get fed about one mouse every two weeks.

And YES! I will DEFINITELY post pictures. Right now, I'm actually debating if I want to use "Aspen" bedding, which is supposed to be drier and helps clean up after they go to the bathroom, or "Cyprus" mulch, which is more natural, but doesn't absorb liquids as well.
Ahh, the agonies of decision making ;3

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my horrible drawing! I sure hope my tank ends up looking MUCH better than the picture xD I'm soo excited.

Good luck with your projects, Vaygirl and Jupiter! Now it's MY turn to demand pictures!

Whew. Long post over.

Jupiter 03-25-2010 08:31 PM

You want a picture of my old, yucky filter pads? ;)

CodeRed 03-25-2010 08:37 PM

That's optional, but I definitely want to see the re-decorated HM side ;P

SaylorKennedy 03-25-2010 08:38 PM

Lol Jupiter. Put that new camera to work! :P

I use Aspen bedding for my dwarf hamster. :) That doesn't help you with your decision making but, hey, just a little fyi.

Currently, I am trying to clean my room. Um, it's taken me 3 days to do half of it, despite the fact that my room isn't that dirty. Those movies just HAVE TO be watched and it's so nice outside... Gotta love procrastination and spring break. :D

CodeRed 03-25-2010 08:44 PM

Ooh, you're on Spring break? Our starts Next Friday :3 And I totally know how it feels to be... distracted from cleaning your room. It's taken me about a week to get mine done...
That totally wasn't off topic xD

Edit:
I've made my decision in the bedding; I've done swell with aspen so far, so I see no need to change it. The Cyprus mulch has been known to harbor mites, and I don't want to take that risk. Now I'm going to go clean the tank with my water and vinegar, then repeat about 20 times. :D