Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Tank mates that wont eat fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/tank-mates-wont-eat-fry-3985/)

The Dude 03-07-2007 08:40 PM

Tank mates that wont eat fry

I have a 5 gallon set aside for swordtail fry. I want to put something in there but i don't want any fry eaten. I can imagine a snail or clam would be fine, how would a crab or a few shrimp sound? Are there any fish that could be put in or is that a no-no?

Zephyr 03-07-2007 08:48 PM

Most clams release tiny babies that live as parasites on fish.
No clammies.

Lupin 03-07-2007 08:50 PM

Cherry shrimps or snails will do. Crabs will eat the fry. I can't comment on the clams though as I've never kept them. I have golden pencilfish and they never ate the fry(rainbowfish) but I certainly will not recommend golden pencilfish in a 5 gallons tank.:)

Kate 03-07-2007 08:51 PM

I'm pretty sure crabs are a "no" as well - from what I've heard they will deff eat fry, or any fish small enough.

Falina 03-10-2007 08:11 AM

cories wouldnt eat fry but again, a 5g tank probably isnt ideal for them either

soco1125 03-10-2007 01:55 PM

I second Blue on the cherry shrimp. They eat algae and leftover food and will not touch the fry like I've heard that ghost shrimp tend to do.

fish_4_all 03-11-2007 01:28 AM

Cherry shrimp should work, ghost/glass shrimp will eat fry, I know from experience so they would be out. Cories wouldn't work because of the tank and believe it or not they will eat their own eggs and fry. I watched them take out a dozen of 3 day old fry of their own when I released them back into the tank from a net breeder. It may have just been the julii (C. Trilineatus) I have but it could happen.

Nerite snails are supposed to be the best algae cleaning snails there is any the best part is they will not breed in fresh water, they need brachish water to breed. I have never seen them but there are places to get them online.

daisycutter 03-16-2007 05:39 PM

any kind of small snails are fine shrimps/crabs etc will eat fry if they get the chance clams are filter feeders and may eat very tiny fry(danios,tetras)but are good for water quality as they siphon off particles in the water
porcupine snails are good they are small winkle like snails that grow no bigger than pea,red ranshorns are good too

KishFeeper 03-16-2007 06:00 PM

if its nice and warm and has some plants add some cardinals or neons there great and fry are too big to fit in there mouths. i had a 3 bala sharks in my 35 gallon fry tank and the fry chased them :)

daisycutter 03-16-2007 07:28 PM

since its only a 5g id go for the snails more room is better for fry growth