Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How long does a tank stay cycled w/no fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-long-does-tank-stay-cycled-39826/)

aunt kymmie 03-25-2010 11:35 AM

How long does a tank stay cycled w/no fish?

I really should know the answer to this question but I don't. A quick search gives conflicting answers. How long will a tank stay cycled without fish in it to provide what the beneficial bacteria need to survive? (Assume the tank has no plant life)

LisaC144 03-25-2010 11:43 AM

Hmmm, can't you just "feed" it with fish food to keep the cycle going? Just a thought.

Twistersmom 03-25-2010 12:04 PM

I remember reading, a 1% daily die off of beneficial bacteria .
Don't have a clue if that info is even close to being accurate.

JMILLER 03-25-2010 12:08 PM

From what I've read the first day initial die off of bacteria is very small, just a few %, but after the first day it speeds up tremendously. How fast?, I never could find anything definite but I did see 50% loss after 3 days and after 5 days you might as well start over. Of course no one posted scientific research to back any of that up so it could all be BS.

aunt kymmie 03-25-2010 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess a few flakes of fish a day ought to keep it cycled. It's only a 10 gl.

JMILLER 03-25-2010 02:20 PM

Do you have an Ace Hardware store around you? They sell pure ammonia (no additives). It's the Ace Brand janitor strength. Cheap too.

Austin 03-25-2010 02:31 PM

I'd think very quickly. Bacteria has a short life span I believe and if they don't have food they won't be able to survive and reproduce. (I don't think the beneficial bacteria live too long with fish I think they just die and reproduce quick enough?)

I'd do the the flake food or ammonia :) Putting maybe as much flake food as ud normally feed your fish.... keep the colony nice and large. ;) But I think if water quality deteriorates too much they'lld ie as well.

rsn48 03-25-2010 02:43 PM

Another technique that works well - remember to test for ammonia - is to use one cocktail shrimp per 10 gallons. Put the shrimp in a woman's nylon, weigh it down with a rock or the like and let its rotting condition seed your tank. Remove the remaining shrimp after approximately one month.

JohnnyD44 03-25-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 350528)
Thanks for the info. I guess a few flakes of fish a day ought to keep it cycled. It's only a 10 gl.

and what are our plans for this 10G???

Ulyaoth 03-25-2010 05:01 PM

What about if you go from 7 fish to 1 in a 16g? Will the one still support the bacteria enough or will there be a dieoff still so that I'd have to slowly add the fish in again rather than just put them all back? I've been planning to put all the fish in my tank but my betta outside in a tub pond for the summer.