Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Hypancistrus L46 Zebra Plecostomus (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/hypancistrus-l46-zebra-plecostomus-39812/)

rosehower 03-24-2010 10:25 PM

Hypancistrus L46 Zebra Plecostomus

2 Attachment(s)
Everyone meet Zeb.8)

wonderful blue eyes, seems nicely colored. today is day 2 home.

LFS says he was not eating well at the store. said he seemed to eat the live black worms (so i got a bag) and said mabey pellets and/or other small live foods (tried live brine, seemed interested)
Have not definatively seen him eat yet, but its a good possibility that I am not awake during the time he is most actively eating. (in which case i feed right before lights out, and watch for as long as i can before bed, he seems active and off i go to bed. This week end i will have uninterrupted staring at him time. i will try carnivore pellets this weekend too. vendor in london feeds theirs variouse live food plus FRUIT! i was like wow really?! i put a cucumber in with him tonight, the damage he will do to it will be minimal (it will be hard to tell if he ate, but i will be thourough in checking)

the eating habit of this species are quite funny to watch, so i hope i get the chance to watch him in action.

anyone looking for L46 (hypancistrus zebra) pleco, contact mike from Absolutely fish (if you are local!) and he can order 2 more form a vendor in California. it likely requires a deposit.

stephanieleah 03-24-2010 10:32 PM

local to where my dear? i was thinking of one of these for my 75. how big do they get? i heard they get quite large.

aunt kymmie 03-24-2010 10:48 PM

Nice fish. :-D

rosehower 03-26-2010 07:32 PM

Absolutely Fish is a store in Clifton NJ. So if you wanted to get some from them you'd have to live near them.
I dont think they ship out, but I know they can get some more from their vendor in california, unless those 2 have since been sold.

as far a size i have only ever seen it written that they get to largest (rarely) 3 inches. most of them 2 inches. so no they dont seem to get big at all. (one of those owners claimed theirs was 7 years old)

stephanieleah 03-26-2010 09:43 PM

that's awesome! i actually know someone who knows a supplier...i wonder if it's your same person. he was getting two last time i checked... i should ask him.

anyway i'm leaning toward the albino bn. i never liked them until i saw one in someone's tank. now i love them.

rosehower 03-27-2010 10:33 AM

thats cool! you'll have to show me what an albino Bushy Nose looks like, i didnt know they were around!
Check out planet catfish or plecofanatics, both are awesome to look at for new plecs and catfishes too.

rosehower 03-28-2010 02:38 PM

did a 50% on the 29 puff tank today (temp. where Zeb is)
the water was 0 nirtite, 0 ammonia, 10 nitrate, ph 7, temp 82F.
it seems to be the most level tank. it doesnt fluctuate much more than .02 ph, and everything else remains the same level.

anyway, while i sucked the water out, i moved his little box, and removed dead leaves and black planty/algae gunk. when he was submerged entirely in the bottom of the tank he was out and about in his box like he was suuper happy! i was so excited i snapped some shots.
i'll try to upload some of em tonite or tommorow.

i have to go to the doctor, so i will be home tommorow. i think the next option is surgery. wish me luck if thats the case everyone. i'm scared. and uninsured. (i work, but havent been there long enough yet to get any coverage)

anyway Zeb, Bumblebee, Pleco, Phantom, Shrimpers, Snails, Gomez, Oselot, Beast, Webber, Feesh, Leon, Puffsters, Black Neons, lil ottos, the cichlid gang, koi-bert, P, and pinky 2 all say hi everyone. (hope i didnt forget any1)

and bermuda aka Lil Fishy

rosehower 03-29-2010 06:39 PM

MORE of the wonderful Mr. Zeb

6 Attachment(s)
here is zeb when i did that water change.
he's a cutie