Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   light pains! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/light-pains-39797/)

Blaxicanlatino 03-24-2010 06:06 PM

light pains!

i jsut bought a new hood fro my tank with the tube flurescent lighting. it came with a 15 watt. But, it makes my tank look horrible! its a purplish color >.< i hate it!. is says aquarium spectrum. 15 watts. 8000K. ive heard of daytime and soft white but what kind of lights make purple color?!

Angel079 03-24-2010 06:13 PM

Its cause 8K is too high end in blue making it look purple. You'd be better up going to Lowes, Homedepot, Walmart whatever you have close by and buy a GE or Phillips daylight bulb that's rated 6500K; which is as close to regular true daylight as it will get and make for most natural colors in the tank.

Byron 03-24-2010 08:02 PM

That is one reason I do not like the "aquarium" or "plant" tubes; they are high in blue and red and the aquarium takes on a distinctly purplish hue. It is interesting that such tubes are also much weaker in light intensity. Any tube labelled "Aqua-Glo", "Flora-Glo", "Grolux" or designated as aquarium or plant light will produce purplish light.

It is true that plants use specifically blue and red light; but adding green/yellow to the combination results in light that looks more natural and provides a natural colour rendition of fish and plants. Tubes labelled as full spectrum, daylight, natural light, enhanced daylight, ultra daylight, etc., will usually be fine if they have a kelvin rating from 5500-6700K. There is also warm white, slightly more red or "warm" tones, and cool white which is more blue for a "cooler" tone; the 5500K will be on the "warm" side, the 6700K will be closer to the "cool" side. With one tube over a tank aim for one that is balanced or full spectrum; with two tubes you can mix full spectrum and cool white.

Unfortunately almost all fixtures come with one of these "special" tubes; I bought two All Glass fixtures last year to replace aging ones, and I sent these tubes straight to the recycling and used my own.

Byron.

Blaxicanlatino 03-24-2010 09:19 PM

Oh ok. I never new that kelvins related to the colors. I'm going back to the aquarium place to get a new light tube. How does 6500k ,soft white, full spectrum sound?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 03-25-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 350258)
Oh ok. I never new that kelvins related to the colors. I'm going back to the aquarium place to get a new light tube. How does 6500k ,soft white, full spectrum sound?
Posted via Mobile Device

Should be OK, do you know the manufacturer? What size is the tank (length and gallons)? I might have specific suggestions for tubes.

Angel079 03-25-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 350258)
How does 6500k ,soft white, full spectrum sound?
Posted via Mobile Device

That'd be perfect for the plants AND your eyes right there as it will appear most natural to your eyes and not purple or yellowish etc.

Blaxicanlatino 03-25-2010 12:10 PM

Crap! So I bought this hood for almost 40$ that come with a horrible bulb. But it only lights the back of the tank! The front Is just dark. And i have to modify the new hood to the tank cause the cuttings for a filter placement is on the left side when my filter is already on the right of the tank . I would simpy move the filter to the left but it will mess up my set up and my java moss is already attached to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Angel079 03-27-2010 07:16 AM

What size tank is this? Or can you maybe take a pic for me of the tank & hood?

Bent the shiny side of tin foil in the shape that fits in the hood right underneath the light bulb and tape it on there this should act as reflector to an extent anyway. That's why I asked the Q above cause if you have a 15w bulb over a 75g tank then yea you'd have dark spots :-)

karjean 03-27-2010 08:53 AM

Actually i would not worry of the bad bulbs coming with the hood if you like the looks of hood, it is in fact one of the cheapest items to replace of the aquarium. If you are changing the bulbs, stick with the most common manufacturer like GE, Sylvannia and Phillips.
I do agree with Byron on the spectrum and Kelvin rating. the recommendation of Angel for a refelctor is another altenative.