Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Carbon filter in a planted tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/carbon-filter-planted-tank-39796/)

karjean 03-24-2010 05:53 PM

Carbon filter in a planted tank

I only have a 10 gallons tank with 4 plants, the filter is a Tetra PF10 with three black neon tetras. As per Byron's third sticky on the plants basic. He mentionned a well planted aquarium. Should i wait for the plants to grow more before i remove it or should i remove it now?

karjean 03-24-2010 05:55 PM

Sorry, i meant to remove the carbon filter.

Angel079 03-24-2010 06:14 PM

Take the carbon out. With having Carbon in there you're extracting nutrition's from the water you plants will need in order to thrive well.

Byron 03-24-2010 07:52 PM

Agree. The purpose of carbon filtration is to remove substances from the water by adsorption, that is, the substances bind to the carbon. Carbon filtration is unnecessary in a planted tank because the plants perform this task themselves, and it is generally held that some nutrients are also removed by the carbon. Carbon is useful when removing medications after treatment.

Byron.

stephanieleah 03-24-2010 09:19 PM

But the OP only has four plants? Just probing here because I've been wondering what plant capacity is according to the level of "heavily planted". Could four plants handle the bioload of a ten gallon tank?

I still agree that carbon is not necessary although out of laziness I run it in my puffer tank (I'm transitioning out of that now). It's medium heavily planted. With carbon, nitrates run around 5-10 ppm.

xxabc 03-24-2010 09:32 PM

Sorry to barge but -

Well I have a carbon cartridge in the HOB right now. It's possible for a HOB to run without a filter cartridge, right? (The good bacteria is housed somewhere else in the HOB so it will be unaffected).

stephanieleah 03-24-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxabc (Post 350267)
Sorry to barge but -

Well I have a carbon cartridge in the HOB right now. It's possible for a HOB to run without a filter cartridge, right? (The good bacteria is housed somewhere else in the HOB so it will be unaffected).

Well the hob will still provide flow but i usually take the carbon out of the cartridge before putting it in the filter. bb will be in the tank, on decor, etc. but personally i like some mechanical filtration, too.

xxabc 03-24-2010 10:32 PM

I'll probably just have to deal with mechanical filtration then, since my dad bought carbon-cartridges for me and didn't want to return them. Guess I could do that though, thank you.

stephanieleah 03-24-2010 10:35 PM

i'll pm you so we stop hijacking this thread : )

karjean 03-25-2010 04:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, i will remove the carbon out.