Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Heater Suction Cups - Advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/heater-suction-cups-advice-39791/)

d0r0g0 03-24-2010 04:05 PM

Heater Suction Cups - Advice

I've been having issues getting the suction cups to stay stuck to the glass. They are for my 150W Heater. I decided to give up on them and ordered magnetic holders online.

I haven't received them yet but was wondering if anyone here has tried them. I'm mostly worried about the magnets corrupting the heater in some way- I don't want to wake up to boiled fish.

karjean 03-25-2010 12:42 PM

Have you tried to contact the manufacturer? The ones you have might be defectives and they might have replacement ones. Mind you, my heater is small and the cups are not giving me any problems.

d0r0g0 03-25-2010 01:10 PM

They worked for me for about a year, and it looks like the heater is out of warranty now. I just don't want to have to keep replacing the suction cups - the magnetic ones are only a little bit more than the replacement cups.

I'll receive the magnetic ones in the mail tomorrow (hopefully) and as long as the packaging doesn't have any warnings not to use it with certain heaters, I'll give it a try and just keep a very close eye on the temp.

mollies 03-26-2010 12:18 AM

They sell replacment one at your LFS's.
I have hade the same Problem, I put new ones on and they work.
After a year the water takes a toll on them. They would need Changed every so often.

I dont know if i would put anything metal in my tank. The metal could leach into your tank then hurt your fish and cause other problems.

Maybe Byron will see this and be able to give a better imput on it. He knows a little more than i do. lol Alot more.

teddyzaper 03-26-2010 12:44 AM

ummm just letting u know, if you put ur heater in the water you are putting metal in it also >:P

mollies 03-26-2010 12:55 AM

Just leting you know none of my heaters have metal on them. They are glass tubes with plastic tops and dials.

Byron 03-26-2010 02:09 PM

I have filters that have been in the tanks for more than 12 years and the plastic suction cups still hold the tubes in place. But I also have some that don't, only a few. I bought replacements. I guess like most things, there are some not as well-made as others and they bend and the suction no longer holds.

I've never seen the magnetic holders. Someone mentioned metal in the water, that is a concern and I personally would never put metal objects in the water. Acidic water corrodes most metals over time, some metals are highly toxic (like lead, copper, iron...). As for the magnetic field interfering with the heater, that is a very good question and I don't know the answer.

mollies 03-26-2010 08:38 PM

Thanks Byron.
Now the magnets arent they metal?
That was my concern.

Byron 03-26-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies (Post 351537)
Thanks Byron.
Now the magnets arent they metal?
That was my concern.

I don't know, I've never seen them. I would also be wondering if a magnetic field would somehow interfere with the heater? Cause it to stick on or off?

karjean 03-26-2010 10:02 PM

Once you will receive the magnets, you will see, they might be in a plastic casing. Personally i have not seen any, but i do not think they would affect the heater if they are made for this purpose.