Tropical Fish Keeping banner

My 10 gallon claimed two more lives... I give up.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Poleren 
#1 ·
Even though I cycled my tank before adding the guppies... they died. I did everything right, I did water changes every few days, yet the tank still killed them. I give up with the 10 gallon. :-(

#2 · (Edited)
did you check the PH? is the temp where it needs to be? did you have a mini cycle spike? what were the sexes in there? did you acclimate the fish before putting them in ether by temp (Floating the bag for a while) alone or temp and drip? few questions

(After though) you said that you did a fishless cycle, did you do a huge water change after and big gravel vac to get the Nitrate levels down after? Most of the time after you do a fishless cycle the Nitrates go sky high since you didn't have to worry about the water going to toxic levels. What are the Nitrate levels at now? how many fish did you try to add at once?

#4 · (Edited)
depending on how high the tank could have been toxic for the fish i have heard that over 20ppm was bad and 40ppm could be deadly. what i would do is do a Massive water change to get the nitrates under 5ppm. Also check your tap water to make sure you don't have high Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate. From what i have read guppies like PH around 6.8-7.8 if you have high Nitrates in your water there might be a chemical that can take it out or if your tank can support plants many if not all of them will eat nitrates. So the other questions still stand did you float the bag with the fish to acclimate the fish to temp? or did you just get home and throw the fish in your tank. I am not a pro with fish but these are the first things i would look for so if one of the big pros with fish would like to chime in that would be nice heh

#5 ·
Too little info to help: 1. what is ph?, 2. what is water source? 3. what was your process for adding fish, 4. how did you treat your water, with what and how much, 5. what are your water test results?, 6. what was your source of fish, i.e., how know healthy. 7. what was temp of tank and fish container when added. Is this the only breed you have difficulty with? 8. when change the water, why so frequent, and how much of volume are you changing.

that should be enought to get you started

#6 ·
My nitrates are always at 40ppm and my tank is fine been running for 3 years. It's nitrite that is the bad one. Check that and then have little read how get it down.

Personally I would avoid guppies unless you want breed them as they breed like rabbits. Try tetras??? You can get loads different types and my personal opinion look nicer.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Agreed, my nitrates are also always at least 40. There are a number of reasons why the fish could have died that are totally unrelated to you and your tank. Don't beat yourself up over it.

#8 ·
Have you washed the tank with certain cleaning products?

#11 ·
Guppies are very sensitive to water parameters. You have to check your water parameters regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.