Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Stocking tips for 25 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/stocking-tips-25-gallon-tank-39760/)

CichlidChick 03-23-2010 10:07 PM

Stocking tips for 25 gallon tank

This summer I will be moving my cichlid to a new home ( more room to grow ) and turning the 25 gallon into a tropical tank. I was thinking about this
3 male platys
3 male guppies
6 harlequin rasboras - maybe
3 or 4 albino or peppered corys.

Sound peaceful? Thanks for any tips or advice. I only want males because I don't want breeding :smile:

philipboucharddavies 03-23-2010 10:38 PM

That looks good exept id add more rasbora and corries...say 8-10 rasbora and 6-8 corries, the fish will be much happier and it will be funner for you to watch ;)

Phil :)

fryup 03-24-2010 12:42 PM

yep i agree that the 3 platys and 3 males will be fine and 10 rasbora and 8 corrys :):):)....good luck

CichlidChick 03-31-2010 03:26 PM

Alright, I was thinking about maybe a dwarf gourami instead of the rasboras? If my LFS has any. Are they really skittish?

Herbicide 03-31-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CichlidChick (Post 354603)
Alright, I was thinking about maybe a dwarf gourami instead of the rasboras? If my LFS has any. Are they really skittish?

I have 2 in my 20 gal and they're not skittish at all. But they are the biggest fish in the tank, so no one really bothers them. In fact, the other fish usually clear a path for them. The gouramis are both males and they do confront each other all the time, and then usually one acts skittish and the other one stands his ground.

CichlidChick 03-31-2010 08:40 PM

I picked up 3 male guppies this afternoon! And saw that my LFS had 2 kinds of dwarf gouramis. Golds and blue neons. I loved the blue ones!

Herbicide 03-31-2010 09:36 PM

I have a stripey red/blue one and a solid silvery blue one. If I had to get rid of one, I would keep the stripey one. The silvery/blue one looked prettier in the fish store, but the stripey one is quite a striking flash of color in my tank. You should ask how long they've had their dwarf gouramis and where they got them. If they are from a local breeder, I say go for it. If not, beware of dwarf gourami disease.
Quote:

Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus (DGIV)
The quality of the dwarf gouramis in the trade has steadily declined for years, with batches of fish showing significantly higher levels of mortality than 10 years ago. Historically, retailers and aquarists have blamed bacterial infections, such as fish tuberculosis (Mycobacterium marinum). In recent years, though, attention has focused on a virus known as dwarf gourami iridovirus or DGIV.
Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently specific to the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia), including the various fancy varieties of the species, such as neon gouramis and sunset gouramis. Infected fish develop a variety of symptoms, including loss of color, decrease in activity and appetite, the appearance of sores and lesions on the body, abdominal swelling and finally death. This fish disease is highly contagious, completely untreatable and invariably fatal.
Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently very common. One recent study of fish exported from Singapore found that 22 percent of all dwarf gouramis carried the virus. Aquarists should never purchase dwarf gouramis from fish tanks containing fish exhibiting symptoms consistent with the dwarf gourami iridovirus, and all new fish should be quarantined for at least six weeks prior to being placed in the main fish aquarium.
For most aquarists, my best advice is to keep the hardier alternatives to dwarf gouramis. The thick-lipped gourami (Colisa labiosa) and the banded gourami (Colisa fasciatus) are both similar in size, temperament and coloration and make excellent alternatives.
from http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...l-disease.aspx

Jayy 04-02-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CichlidChick (Post 354738)
I picked up 3 male guppies this afternoon! And saw that my LFS had 2 kinds of dwarf gouramis. Golds and blue neons. I loved the blue ones!

its sounds like your talking about blue gouramis which come in blue and gold

CichlidChick 04-02-2010 10:08 PM

yea the blue neon looked awesome. I think that little splash of blue would be fantastic except I've read that gouramis need to be in a quiet area and my tank is in the living room. I don't want to freak the little guy out if I get one.
btw I was suckered into a tiny little oto cat, he's a cutie

fryup 04-03-2010 05:10 AM

i hope it dosnt include honey gouramis because mine has lost its colour slightly and isnt as active :(:(:(