Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   sharks as community fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/sharks-community-fish-3975/)

Falina 03-07-2007 06:24 PM

sharks as community fish

is there any type of shark that would do well in a community aquarium? red tailed black sharks and rainbow sharks are meant to be alright with other fish as long as they are similar size or the other fish are larger but i wanted to check as sometimes i feel fish stores will tell you anything to get a sale.

the fish i would possibly be keeping the shark with would be:

pleco (definite)
pictus catfish (definite)
angelfish (likely)
black widow/skirted tetra (possible)
cories (possible)
mollies (possible)

musho3210 03-07-2007 06:42 PM

bala sharks but they need really big tanks (150+ for a school of 6)

Falina 03-07-2007 06:46 PM

sorry, i should have said that i had ruled them out because of the size of tank they would need. ive been researching them (rainbow and red tailed black) and tbh i just dont think id trust them so am going to give them a miss. thanks though.

Lupin 03-07-2007 06:46 PM

A barb that almost looks like the shark which is a Puntius denisonii also makes a good community fish. They reach 5-6 inches but can be costly.

Falina 03-07-2007 06:49 PM

they do kind of look like sharks. theyre really nice actually, i think ill look into them. they would be best kept in a small shoal i take it?

thanks

Lupin 03-07-2007 08:21 PM

A small shoal will make their colors appear at their best. I noticed some people though keeping a lone torpedo barb. I've never kept them but I've been planning to get them when vacation comes.:) A long tank is better than a tall tank so there would be enough swimming space for a shoal.:)

Good luck and hope you can come up with pictures of them.:mrgreen:

lioness501 03-08-2007 02:29 AM

do u mean denisoni barbs? if u do, they r awesome fish, i have just got 2 youngsters. they are £30 a pair in my lfs, but went somewhere else and got the younger ones for £12 a pair!!!

Falina 03-08-2007 04:42 AM

when i looked them up it said the common name was red line torpedo barbs. though somefish seem to go by about 10 different names so possibly its the same fish

lioness501 03-08-2007 10:51 AM

yeah thats the same thing, they r stunning

Jewels 01-12-2009 06:33 PM

Hi there,
i've currently got both Redtailed and Rainbow sharks as pairs in a community tank with Discus, Black widow Tetras, Angelfish, Clown Loach , Bristlenose Catfish anf Blue Platies.
Everybody seems to be gettting on well, and before they jumped tank on me, I also had Silver Sharks in a similar setup. The tank is, however, well laced with cavey rocks and plants as hiding holes, which all except the Black Widow Tetaras seem to use.....
I found the forum advice about getting 5 Black Widow Tetras very useful, as once I had reached this number, I found them fitting into a tight school, looking happier and giving the bigger fish something small to chase (with no harm done!).....
Thanx for this advice, as I now have a full and happy community tank to admire and relax to..........
Cheers Jewels