Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Krib with disease - Help with diagnosis (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/krib-disease-help-diagnosis-39738/)

Socdk 03-23-2010 03:14 PM

Krib with disease - Help with diagnosis

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and have joined to seek help about what disease my krib has gotten. I've searched google and a couple of sites, but I haven't found anything that sounds like what my krib has.

Symptoms (My english fish-terms aren't as sharp as it could be, so luckily I have a few pics to illustrate): White "spots" one on each side of the krib. Some similar white on it's back fin. Pimple-like growths on the edge of each eye (Not in the exact eye).

He is definately not feeling well. Usually he would be curious, raise his back fin at everybody and chase them if they bothered him. Now he cowers in the back of the tank and doesn't lunge at other fish even though he seems very bothered by them.

No other fish are sick.

I've treated with medicine called eSHa 2000 which is for bacteria and fungi infections. Apparantly it isn't fungus, seeing as the medicine didn't work.

Any takers?

Thanks,
Seb

kelly528 03-23-2010 03:41 PM

True fungus in aquaria is pretty rare, most things called 'fungus' are actually bacterial. If you still have the pack could you please tell us the active ingredient?

It looks bacterial for sure, I just want to know what was in the eSha so I can know why it didn't work.

Also please fill out this:

Quote:

CONSULT FORM

How big is the tank?

Is it uncycled or cycled?

How much water do you change?

How often do you change the water?

WATER STATS
Please try to answer these to the best of your ability. If you do not have a test kit, please bring a sample of tankwater to the nearest local pet store. They should test it for cheap, but most of the time free. Write the actual numbers down, don’t take ‘okay’, ‘low’ or ‘fine’ for an answer.

Temperature:

pH:

Ammonia:

Nitrite:

Nitrate:

Socdk 03-23-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly528 (Post 349469)
True fungus in aquaria is pretty rare, most things called 'fungus' are actually bacterial. If you still have the pack could you please tell us the active ingredient?

It looks bacterial for sure, I just want to know what was in the eSha so I can know why it didn't work.

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for the prompt reply and the lesson in bacteria. It's always neat to learn something.

According to the leaflet eSHa 2000 contains the following:

per 1 ml eSHa 2000:
6,3 mg Ethacridini lactas
3,2 mg Cuprum 2+
0,26 mg Metylorange
1 mg (ad aqua <- don't know what this means, but it's stated this way on the pack) Proflavin

Sorry about the measurements being in litres and grams. That's how we roll here in Europe :)

CONSULT FORM

How big is the tank? - 120 litres

Is it uncycled or cycled? - I'm not sure what this means? I have a filterbox with filters and air (co2 I guess)?

How much water do you change and how often? - It varies a bit. Usually 1/4 every two weeks or 1/3 every three weeks.

WATER STATS
Please try to answer these to the best of your ability. If you do not have a test kit, please bring a sample of tankwater to the nearest local pet store. They should test it for cheap, but most of the time free. Write the actual numbers down, don’t take ‘okay’, ‘low’ or ‘fine’ for an answer.

Temperature: - 25 degree celcius in the far end of the tank

pH: N/A

Ammonia: N/A

Nitrite: N/A

Nitrate: N/A

I haven't tested the water recently and I haven't got any testkits left.

I hope the information was helpful.

Regards,
Seb

kelly528 03-23-2010 05:16 PM

Cycling is the process of establishing a colony of nitrifying bacteria in your tank that converts ammonia produced by fish waste to a less harmful compound called nitrate. I am assuming your tank is cycled because even if you never intentionally cycled it your water change schedule would have encouraged the growth of these bacteria. To maintain the cycle just be sure not to rinse the filter media in chlorinated water and do not replace it as that is where all the beneficial bacteria are living.

Hmm the medicine used is more of an antiseptic than an antibiotic... I would try an antibiotic. Not sure where in Europe you are but you should try to find some Maracyn and Maracyn 2. They are made by Mardel. Maracyn is a gram positive antibiotic which treats external bacteria like the fuzz you are seeing on the fin. Maracyn 2 is a gram negative antibiotic that will prevent or cure any internal infections, for instance if the bacteria exterior to the fish get into the bloodstream and start a 'blood infection', more correctly known as septicemia.

If you can't find Maracyn and Maracyn 2, at least try to find a medication containing their main ingredients: Maracyn contains Ethromycin and Maracyn 2 has Minocycline as it s active ingredient. Good luck!

Also I'm not sure what other fish you have in the tank but you will probably want to step water changes up to 10% weekly to prevent disease in the future.

Socdk 03-23-2010 08:26 PM

Oh. I didn't realize that there was a process behind "cycling" that you have to do when starting a tank. I thought it came naturally (well I guess it does in most cases) and I've always known it to be refered to as a biological filter (roughly translated). I think I'm maintaining this biological filter pretty well (last water tests were very good), but I do however rinse the filter elements from time to time. I'm thinking that this is okay, as long as I don't super-clean them, right? I was actually kinda tossed into owning a tank and I'm still pretty "new" at this, so knowledge iis always welcome.:-)

I'll call my fish stores and see if any of them have Maracyn in stock.

Aaand I'll up the water change.

Thank you for the help. You've been more helpful that I had hoped for. I'll try to update this thread after treating with antibiotics.

Regards,
Seb

kelly528 03-24-2010 12:05 PM

No problem! Keep us posted!

Where people start out with more delicate fish it is usually necessary to invest a lot of time into cycling the tank, ie testing the water frequently and changing it when ammonia and nitrite start to become too high. For some fish, putting them through the cycling process is very risky and sometimes results in the death of the fish if ammonia and nitrite levels are allowed to rise basically unchecked. But clearly you are past 'the red zone' and needn't worry about anything but maintaining a good biological filter so no problems there!