Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Eheim 2217 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/eheim-2217-a-39708/)

jdt 03-22-2010 11:58 PM

Eheim 2217

Hello all,
I just picked up a 90 gallon aquarium and a Eheim 2217 for 50 dollars used.
I have a 30 gallon set up currently. I was just wandering if using the Eheim on the 30 gallon would be a really bad idea? The one hanging on it now is getting noisy and just does not work well. I know this filter is rated to like a 150 gallon aquarium but would it work or just suck my fish up or something?

JasonI 03-23-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdt (Post 349241)
Hello all,
I just picked up a 90 gallon aquarium and a Eheim 2217 for 50 dollars used.
I have a 30 gallon set up currently. I was just wandering if using the Eheim on the 30 gallon would be a really bad idea? The one hanging on it now is getting noisy and just does not work well. I know this filter is rated to like a 150 gallon aquarium but would it work or just suck my fish up or something?

I had just mention this today to another person on this site. I would recommend you use it on a 90 gallon as for the 30 gallon I would look into a smaller filter maybe a HOB filter or even a sponge filter not sure why you would want to put such a large filter on a small tank. I was thinking of putting an old Eheim filter a 2011 that I purchased on a smaller tank it's rated for a tank of 29 gallons. That's out of this text though so I also have a 2217 which is running on my 90 gallon. I believe it is rated for up to 159 gallons with a turnover of 264 gallons an hour. I really think your looking to see your fish stuck on the intake of this filter if used on a smaller tank that it is not designed for this. This filter intake tube would be to long anyway to fit a 30 gallon in my oppinion. If your looking to get a canister fiter look at some different one's that may be compatible for your tank. P.S. by the way that was an excellent price for both these 2 here purchases filter and 90 gallon that was a definite steal of a bargain.

jdt 03-23-2010 01:18 AM

Yeah I was not necessarily in the market for a tank but I could not pass it up. He was asking more but I saw someone else walking up to look at the tanks he was selling and I figured I better take a stab so I was like look i got 50 cash, and he seemed quite happy to get it. I tested the filter and it seems to work. It looks like these things are completely rebuild-able anyway. I have some plywood and lumber to build a stand and hood with sitting around so I guess I'm gonna set it up soon. The new tank has 3 bottom bulkheads so I'm researching how I'm gonna set it up right now. I may sell my freshwater fish and set up a reef. I'm still kind of up in the air.

iamntbatman 03-23-2010 03:29 AM

Are you trying to seed the filter in the 30g? Eheim filters are fairly low flow so I don't think it'd be a huge problem. Plus I believe you can adjust the flow rate to turn it down a bit if need be.

jdt 03-23-2010 01:46 PM

I'm not sure what seed means. I don't see a way to turn it down unless you cut the voltage down to it. I think it would turn the tank over 10 times an hour. Thats a little bit of current in the tank. I really just dislike the little filter I have and thought this one might work. I know its overkill.

iamntbatman 03-24-2010 03:27 AM

What I meant by seeding was that, since your 30g is already up and running, you could run the filter on it so that bacteria colonies would establish themselves in it, allowing you to move the filter back to the 90g and have it ready for fish.

jdt 03-24-2010 07:44 PM

not really but that is a good idea.

blacksheep 03-24-2010 09:13 PM

Thats a pretty good price