Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   a hard lesson to learn... excel (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hard-lesson-learn-excel-39683/)

beetlebz 03-22-2010 07:42 PM

a hard lesson to learn... excel

So im one thats always used flourish excel to handle the occasional algae out-popping. baster or a small cup to spot treat and thats it. done it for years. Well, my 110g had a nasty outbreak of black beard algae, so i used the cup method to spot treat it, as it was all near the surface. as I was about done, I got to second guessing how much I had used, though I really didnt overdose the tank ALL that much. This was just before bed last night.

this morning my 10" royal pleco had died, my flowerhorn, my dempsey, two blue gourami, and a salvini cichlid too. years of complacency and laziness had gotten the best of me, and the only survivor of my 110g tank is a lonely firemouth who, while better looking than this morning, looks TERRIBLE.

please be careful and dont get lazy like I did with this stuff :\

Angel079 03-22-2010 08:13 PM

Dang man you ODed them with carbon.....did you did a larger w/c when you noticed what's going on?

JohnnyD44 03-22-2010 08:14 PM

wow, sorry to hear that!

aunt kymmie 03-22-2010 08:20 PM

Man, I'm really sorry to hear this. What a total drag. Your pleco was gorgeous. I hope your firemouth pulls through.

beetlebz 03-22-2010 08:51 PM

they looked a little off before bed, did a 20% w/c... but at the time it didnt occur to me what happened. I did a 50% this morning but it was too little waaay too late. I shoulda done a bigger w/c last night. So far the fire mouth is holding his own, but time will tell :\

the pleco was the hardest to lose. not only is he silly expensive to replace, albert was like a member of the family!

Mean Harri 03-22-2010 11:11 PM

Sorry to hear this beetle. Sometimes our lessons learned in life really suck. While that doesn't bring back Albert and company, we've all been there in one way or another and feel your pain bro.

tanker 03-23-2010 01:52 AM

I'm so sorry you lost your fish. How upsetting. :-(

iamntbatman 03-23-2010 04:27 AM

Awww man that's really a bummer. Sorry to hear about this.

1077 03-23-2010 06:46 AM

Am sorry as well. Lessons we learn the hard way, are seldom forgotten.
I often claim to have little interest in the emotional aspects of this hobby ,but I too have learned some quite painful lessons at the expense of my fish. Have found little consolation when self inflicted problem('s) have caused the loss of some fishes in my care.
I wish you the best ,and hope you can at least come close to replacing the stock you lost.
A week ago,, I lost half a 20 gal tank full of fancy guppies by forgetting whether or not I added dechlorinator to the replacement water. I had just performed weekly water changes on five tanks and could not remember whether this last one had been treated. I could have easily added dechlorinator but chose not to thinking I already had. The following morning, nearly half were dead and the remaining fish were gasping at the surface.:| Lesson learned.

Hang in there!

Romad 03-23-2010 07:08 AM

That really stinks. Sorry about your fish loss. Albert sounds like he was a very special guy.