Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Eclipse tank (BioWheel) with an air stone?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Andyandsue 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an Eclipse tank, or similar with a BioWheel and use an air pump/stone? Do you think there is any reason why I should or should not do this?

#2 ·
Yes I bought an Eclipse 6 with BioWheel. The BioWheel filters are the way to go with almost all tanks. The wheel rotates through the water, picks up tons of oxygen, and mixes it with the good bacteria. That quickly converts ammonia to nitrite, and nitrate to nitrate, which is much less dangerous. You just do water changes to get rid of nitrate.

The Eclipse tanks are mostly small. That's good for space, but smaller tanks are more difficult to keep stable. A big tank would change temperature slower, ammonia can be controlled easier, etc. So don't overstock, and do check the water frequently with such a small tank. Also, add a heater to keep it a steady temperature.

#4 ·
Yes, I got a Whisper airpump rated for 8g. I hooked it up to a 7" bubble curtain with suction cups and attached it to the back bottom of the tank. My guppies swim down the bubble curtain like salmon swim up waterfalls.

I mainly got this for the look, but it should aerate the water a little bit more. Everything I've read says aeration isn't necessary with the BioWheel.

#6 ·
I have a 29 gallon eclipse. I used to have an air stone in the tank just for decoration, but I took it out when I noticed a lot of algae liked to grow on it. When I had it it, my Cichlids liked to play in the bubbles and it made for interesting pictures of my tank.

#9 ·
I haven't had any issues with the filtration in any of my Eclipse tanks, but you need to stay on top of them that's for sure.

I wanted to add the a small airstone just for the fish to play in. Still not sure if I am going to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.