Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Suggestions for a cummunity tank w/ guppies/snails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/suggestions-cummunity-tank-w-guppies-snails-39556/)

redchigh 03-20-2010 02:25 PM

Suggestions for a cummunity tank w/ guppies/snails

Well my 10G guppy is planted now... and it's beautiful.

Now, I'd like to add a couple new tankmates to the tank. Remember, it's a 10G so I know it has to be small...
Maybe some tetras?

I'd like a coolie loach, but I'm afraid he'll eat all my snails... If he stayed on the bottom that would be okay though... (The snails like the plants and glass more than the bottom)

I'm also considering: (I know not ALL would fit, these are just some ideas)

1 Male Betta
Three Corydoras
Several shrimp... (Amano, prehaps? Or ghost shrimp)
6 of a small schooling fish... Do any tetras like PH 6.5-7.5?
1 Coolie Loach
Female mollies or swordtails (so they will eat guppy fry, and if by some freak of nature they get pregnant, at least the offspring will be infertile, and eat guppy fry as well)
1-2 make pike livebearer (small fish, 2-4 inches long, carnivorous)

Thanks for your help, and I'm open to any other suggestions.

BTW, don't rule out a fish just because it will eat guppy fry. I will consider that a bonus!
I considered the betta and pike livebearer for that reason alone. (plus they're either pretty or interesting in their own right)

Mean Harri 03-20-2010 02:38 PM

Most all Tetras will do well in the ph parameter that you list. They prefer soft acidic water but tank bred Tetras now a days are acclimated to higher ph levels. Wild caught would be touchy and their native parameters would need met. That shouldn't be an issue here.
Shrimp are so small that their bio load impact is nearly nothing. Those could be added in addition to.
I believe loaches do better in multiple numbers vs alone. I can't say for sure but I believe that is the case.

aunt kymmie 03-20-2010 02:59 PM

+1 to Harri on the loaches. Kuhlis are very shy and unless they are in a group you'll never see them. You'd need a group of five in order for them to feel comfortable. Loaches are VERY social creatures.
How many adult guppies are in this tank?? Not sure a betta and adult guppies are a good combo.

Byron 03-20-2010 03:06 PM

While there are several tetras that would manage in your pH range, and they should be in groups of 6 or more, they would mostly need more room. Something miniature like the Ember Tetra would work if you can keep the water slightly acidic, they tend to pale above pH 7. Check the Characin profiles here, most of the commonly-available species are now included and water parameters and tank dimensions are indicated for each species, plus comments where these are variable or not.

Also there are the dwarf rasbora species like Boraras, also acidc though. Or the celestial rasbora (actually a danio), small, basic water is fine.

Livebearers should have the water basic for long-term health, they need the mineral hardness.

Agree with prior comments on loaches.

iamntbatman 03-21-2010 02:58 AM

The livebearing pike wouldn't work. They grow to about 6" and they'll absolutely eat adult guppies.

Since guppies spend a lot of time near the top of the tank I think something for the lower levels would be nice. Shrimp, snails, maybe corydoras (depending on the species).

redchigh 03-25-2010 05:00 PM

I decided on 6 ghost shrimp, 2 platys and 2 mollies. (I just sold about a dozen guppies so I think I have room now. :))