My loach has a seemingly undiagnosable problem
New here - and I'm seeking help:-)
We added a sucking loach to our new freshwater aquarium two months ago.
After about a month, it developed a yellow tinge around its gill.
This discolouration then began to spread around the gill area and on to its spine.
I have shown a picture to a few local fish specialists who said they have never seen anything like it before (although one suggested it may be a bacterial problem caused by an ammonia burn).
None of the other fish (a gold sucking loach and two chocolate orandas, alongside apple snails) show similar symptoms. We had the water tested and there's no problems with ammonia, nitrates or ph level.
I have attached a picture. I would welcome any suggestions.
Welcome to the forum. I haven't seen anything like that either but just wanted to say hi.
Hopefully someone here is familar with what's going on with your loach.
May be nothing but pigmentation......Keep an eye on it and maintain good water quality.........How big is your tank?........Gold Fish need atleast 5 gallons of water each.
That's a Chinese algae eater, if I'm not mistaken. The discoloration could be an injury from the other CAE as these fish are notoriously aggressive, especially as they age. Have you seen any aggression between them? I'd also suggest that you not keep these fish with goldfish as they prefer warmer waters than goldfish and might also harass goldfish by trying to feed on their slime coats.
Thanks for the advice. It's a 60 litre tank (I make that getting on for 12 gallons).
It's the algae-eating loach with the discolouration which is the aggressive one - the others are all remarkably passive. He is very territorial over a ruined temple... but struggles to defend it from an indifferent and roaming apple snail (called Timmy and which has just laid around 50 eggs, perhaps the name was ill thought out?!?).
If it is an injury, then should the discolouration be spreading? We are treating it with an internal bacteria tonic at the moment. It's a puzzler.
Well, an injury could very well get infected and the infection could spread. I'm not a vet so I can't ID particular infections for you; if I were in your shoes I'd isolate the fish in question and use a broad-spectrum treatment (maybe antibiotics for gram positive and negative bacteria and maybe an anti-fungal as well).
What kind of goldfish do you have? Fancy? Common? Shubunkins? In any case you'll need to upgrade before too long. Two fancy goldfish would need at least a 29 gallon tank, hopefully larger, while commons or shubunkins would need much more room as these fish can grow to two feet in length. And once again, the algae eaters will prove to be problematic as they mature and shouldn't be kept with goldfish for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.