Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Canister filter- Which should I buy? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/canister-filter-should-i-buy-3951/)

lmeijer 03-07-2007 10:35 AM

Canister filter- Which should I buy?

Hello- I have a 65 gallon (65x18x24) tank with a c02 from redsea and an aquaclear 70 filter (from my old tank). I have the tank planted with a corolife 2x 96watt aqualight. I have about 50 fish in there, small things like tetras, etc.

I was going to upgrade to a AC110 and thought maybe I should go for gold and get a canister filter but I know nothing about them. Can anyone suggest a good brand/model? Thanks for all of your help.

Lisa

Brandon 03-07-2007 11:35 AM

Umm. Fluva is prabably the best one out there right now.

lmeijer 03-07-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon
Umm. Fluva is prabably the best one out there right now.

better than the Eheim 2215? Thank you for responding

Brandon 03-07-2007 02:41 PM

Im pretty sure there build better but not sure. I also think there good for there price.

lmeijer 03-07-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon
Im pretty sure there build better but not sure. I also think there good for there price.

Thank you very much

Sleepy 03-07-2007 03:21 PM

Well, my Fluval broke after 8 months so I wouldn´t suggest this brand to anyone. It might be that it was just bad luck but I always had problems with my canister. Everytime I had it off for maintenance or something else, it took hours to get it started again. After that I had the tank full of O2 bubbles for at least two days because I couldn´t get the oxygen out of the tank.

After it broke I bought a Casade canister filter and I am impressed. It´s cheap and works just fine. This one took me five minutes for installation and I decided I am going to stick with this brand.

musho3210 03-07-2007 03:26 PM

magnum from what ive heard is good mechanical but not as much bio-logical (you can add a bio-wheel to it though) ehiem i also heard is good more more on the expensive side. I havent heard any good reviews on fluval (plus they dont look worth the price)

Derek-M 03-07-2007 05:45 PM

Eheim is well known for it's build quality and reliability, yes they are more expensive but worth it long term..Another external I would look at is the Rena as they are value for money...It's a great pity that the new Tetratec external range is not in the US yet as it is in my opinion the best out there at the moment...The only Fluval I stock now is the FX5

magic_marty 03-07-2007 07:13 PM

I am running a magnum 350 pro with the duel bio-wheels and i am very impressed on how good of a job it is doing.And with it in the bottom of the stand we can't even hear it running.Its more quite then the air pump.

edit: forgot to give tank size, its a 55 gallon

Nanoguy 03-07-2007 09:37 PM

I just ordered a Fluval FX5 for my 120g. I heard it was the shizzle. It's rated for up to 400g, has a processor to stop the filter for a few minutes every 24h so gasses can rise to the top and has a 3 year warranty. I hope it works as well as everyone says because my oscar is a messy dude.