Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   NEW 30G TANK!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-30g-tank-3950/)

Falina 03-07-2007 08:50 AM

NEW 30G TANK!!!

i have recently bought (and almost cleared my bank account over the head of) a 30g tank. i cant decide whether i would like to put loads of (realtively loads, dont want to overstock) wee tiny fish in it like tetras etc, or get a couple of pretty sizeable fish, but nothing that will eventually grow too big as i will definitely grow too attatched to give it away if it outgrew the tank. the dimensions are 800x350x450mm, or 32x14x18 inches. i definitely want to get a pleco though ive not decided what type yet. any suggestions for other fish would be very much appreciated. bearing in mind that ive almost bankrupt myself buying the tank, so nothing overly pricey with the fish :D :P :)

much appreciated

- julie x

Brandon 03-07-2007 11:42 AM

I'd get little fish because there cheap and look cool. I also like schooling fish.

squiggles1 03-07-2007 12:16 PM

african knife fish are cool looking. but with tetras u et lots of color and activity all the time

Falina 03-07-2007 03:48 PM

i have had a think about it and visited my local fish store. the fish i am considering are:

small shoal of black widow tetras
a few black mollies
a pictus catfish
a common plec
small shoal of cories
a few swordtails
another type of plec (clown, zebra, something)
black ghost knife fish

just to be clear, im not thinking about getting ALL these fish. they are just ones that i am quite keen on and am trying to decide between at the moment, so overcrowding wont be a problem. if anyone knows that any of these fish wouldnt get on well together or anything then it would be really helpful to know so i could rule them out. i already have the common plec in a 10g at the moment (hes very tiny at the moment but hell grow, which is why im upgrading him) and i have got my heart set on a pictus catfish so other than that im pretty undecided at the moment.

any input/advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

musho3210 03-07-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliewiegand
i have had a think about it and visited my local fish store. the fish i am considering are:

small shoal of black widow tetras
a few black mollies
a pictus catfish
a common plec
small shoal of cories
a few swordtails
another type of plec (clown, zebra, something)
black ghost knife fish

just to be clear, im not thinking about getting ALL these fish. they are just ones that i am quite keen on and am trying to decide between at the moment, so overcrowding wont be a problem. if anyone knows that any of these fish wouldnt get on well together or anything then it would be really helpful to know so i could rule them out. i already have the common plec in a 10g at the moment (hes very tiny at the moment but hell grow, which is why im upgrading him) and i have got my heart set on a pictus catfish so other than that im pretty undecided at the moment.

any input/advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

hmm the 30 gallon tank wont be much difference for the pleco, a common pleco needs at least 75 gallons. A 30 gallon cant really fit plecs besides the small ones (brittlenose etc) but never a common.

Pictus can fit but you cant really get any small fish with them as they will eat them.

the ghost knife fish.... uhh na too big for a tank that size

everything else will fit in a 30 gallon as long as you stock well

Falina 03-07-2007 04:25 PM

the plec is only 2" long at the moment, so i thought that 30g would be more than enough just now? the plan is that by the time he gets a bit bigger, i wont be a student anymore (just over a year now to go) and so will be able to afford to upgrade him to what hell need when hes full size. when i do that i can maybe put the ghost knife fish in with him then? is it just size that would be the problem for that fish just now? or would they not get on?

thanks for your help

musho3210 03-07-2007 04:26 PM

i think size is the main problem now, plecos are non agressive (but can sometimes suck the slime off other fish). With plecos and knifes 75 gallon is the BARE minimum with 100+ gallons reccomended

Falina 03-07-2007 04:52 PM

ill have to think about upgrading reubus (plec) sooner rather than later in that case. i think british gallons are different from american gallons, so ive got a 38g tank in american gallons i think.

would a pictus catfish bother angel fish? because i know theyre quite slow swimmers and pictus catfish can get quite rowdy at dinner time

thanks again