Probabaly a VERY stupid question
No it is not a pond or anything, but... We have 5 horses that we take care of. Three on one lot and the other 2 are next to them in another lot next to them. During the summer months the algae in both water troughs is AWFUL... I try to keep the water changed often enough but does not help.
Can I put in a snail or an algae eater in them during the summer? In the winter we keep it so they don't freeze completely over. Stupid question I know, but since we have these horses and algae is always a problem in the summer I thought it would be neat.
I don't think a snail or algae eater is enough for horse water troughs. Also, water out of the spigot has to be treated for chlorine like it does for an aquarium for the snail/algae eater to be ok. I'd leave it alone. Horse drink in ponds and creeks on the trail, right? What's in those waters? Algae isn't going to hurt anything.
Try a UV Sterilizer to kill the algae. People use these in fish ponds and they work great. You just have to buy one for how many gal. of water your horses have. Here is where you can order one. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com I would only use it in the warmer months and take it out over fall/winter. One person in the pond thread likes using them to clear algae from his pond.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.