Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Lighting help please

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  scottysgirl 
#1 ·
I have a 29 gallon (30 inches across the top) tank. Right now it is set up with the 20 watt bulb on top and 60 watt bulb on the wall in the back. This is not the most attractive set-up. I am looking for a new option for the tank. I want preferably 3 wpg, but 2.5 would be OK
The tank came with housing for a light, but it says 20 watts on the outside, I am assuming this means maximum 20 watts in that housing. So I am thinking I need to get a new fixture for the top of the tank, but I have run into two problems:
1) the single lights which contain enough wattage are too long for the tank
2) the double strip lights that come with the fixture still are too low of wattage for that length of tank
Does anyone have any ideas for lighting for a 29 gallon tank, 30 inches across the top, aiming for 2.5-3.0 wpg
Thank you!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies--those are good websites but I am still having trouble finding lighting in the 2.5-3 watts per gallon range, either the watts are too low for a single strip light or very high (4.5-5 watts) for a double strip light and that seems a little exessive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.