Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Nooob here (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/nooob-here-3942/)

Kate 03-07-2007 12:42 AM

Nooob here

Hey kiddos!

I'm obviously extremely new (to this forum and to fish), but unlike most forums where members are a bit exclusive you all have given some wonderful support and advice, despite my utter ignorance. Thank you ;).

I'm a college student with lots of experience with other animals (small animal vet tech/horse trainer here), but until recently had no idea that fish were so amazing. I've found very quickly that setting up and maintaining a tank is a much more humbling experience than expected. So far all the people on the forum have been amazing and I'm REALLY excited about learning as much about ..well .. everything... as possible lol and getting to know everyone. <3

So yep. That's about it. I hope everyone's week is going well! (Isn't it Friday yet!?)

reverendred 03-07-2007 01:20 AM

from one college student to another... welcome to the site! what kind of set up do you have ...tank.... fish etc...

Daz 03-07-2007 01:41 AM

Hello Kate. :wave:

Kate 03-07-2007 01:43 AM

20gal freshwater right now - partially planted (1/2 plastic, 1/2 java fern lol). 3 3-inch balas, 3 small gouarmis, two cherry barbs and a small peacock eel. I did the really dumb new-to-the-hobby thing and bought the fish without much consideration of the different temps they need or without cycling the tank (I didn't even know such a practice existed), so now I'm fighting to keep the water levels balanced and all the fish happy. ::kicks self:: I have a 55gal that I'm working on setting up as the freshwater tank so the fish have more room and habitat, but need to do a little more research on plants and well.. everything.
I also just "rescued" a juvenile freshwater moray eel from a horrible store in my area. He beat all odds and is now recovering in a 10 gal, but will be moved to a 55 gal brackish water tank that I'm in the process of setting up with the help of a professional. <=== really excited about that!

And thank you two for the welcome ;)

Amphitrite 03-07-2007 03:04 AM

Hi Kate, and welcome to the forum :)

SporadicStaticAddict 03-07-2007 08:28 AM

'lo Kate! It is humbling... like college. I'm a student too, and sometimes watching the little guys is the only thing that keeps my stress levels under control. :shock: What are you studying?

Kate 03-07-2007 11:27 AM

Yea I totally know what you mean. They've totally been distracting me from studying for exams though lol. English/Pre-law. You?

musho3210 03-07-2007 04:20 PM

good luck, why dont you forget about the 55 gallon (actually still get it) and get a 120 gallon for your bala sharks, they will love it as much as you do, but still get the 55 gallon as the more tanks the better :)

welcome to the forum

SporadicStaticAddict 03-07-2007 05:29 PM

English/Writing. They're helping me more than distracting me.

Kate 03-07-2007 05:31 PM

I was thinking about doing that - but as of right now, I can't really afford the 120 gallon and already have one 55 gal. Was thinking of setting up the 55 gallon shortly, and letting the balas grow into that until I could afford a really nice big tank for them.. Would even 120 gallons be big enough? I heard they get HUGE and want to plan to be able to provide them with the best habitat possible when they are full grown. Thanks for the advice, btw. It's very gracious of you and just as much appreciated ;).