Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Ph problem!!!!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/ph-problem-39399/)

KSASTER2 03-18-2010 08:30 AM

Ph problem!!!!!!!

Ok here goes... 29g planted. 6 weeks old.

7 neons, 2 guppies, 5 guppy fry, 2 molies, 2 albino corys.

API MASTER TEST KIT LIQUID

for 3 weeks now everything has tested perfect...

before that the only issue I've had with chemistry was a slight nitrite problem .25

other than that chem has been great!

OK PH issue...

my tap ph is 7.6-7.8

tank has always been 7.0-7.4

Today I test and retested... WAY LOW 6.0 and it could be lower my test kit bottoms out there.
for a control i checked my tap and it was 7.6-7.8

What do I do?

Nothing in my tank has been changed or modified. The only thing I've done or added is my weekly 20-30 percent water change.

Everything appears healthy,eating,active.

The only thing I can think of is we went away for a night, I had an African Dwarf Frog. When we got back he was stuck in the filter intake. He could have been dead in the tank for 24-36 hrs, before he was removed.

Other than that I have no clue. I do have some crushed coral. Should I add that.
Should I do a big Water Change?

Thanks for any and all help!!!!

KSASTER2 03-18-2010 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tank pic

Angel079 03-18-2010 08:56 AM

You have got to test your KH. I strongly suspect you have a very low KH coming from your tap with this pH. That then means that your pH is doomed to fluctuate with a low KH and cause what you see now. Adding crushed coral or dolomite will help this and keep it stable long term.

KSASTER2 03-18-2010 09:02 AM

Unfortunatly I don't have that test kit. But I will pick 1 up today and post the results. also my CPO is coming FRiday, will this ph kill him? Hope I didn't just throw away 29.99 on aqua bid

Angel079 03-18-2010 09:34 AM

Was this my tank here's what I would do:
1) Buy kh test test tank & tap
2) Poss do a 30% w/c today
3) Dep on what the kh is add about 1/2-1cuip of the crushed coral
4) Test everything (ph & kH again tomorrow)

When you get the CPO you need to drip acclimate them verrryyyyy slowly. For examples my shrimp I recently gotten came from something like a KH 7-8 (I have 1 here) I took a clean "tank bowl" added them with their shipment water into it and then every 30 mins I added a half 1/4 cup tank water and I done this action over the course of 5 hrs then netted them into the tank. You HAVE TO go very slow on the CPO (spc if you don't know what water it came from) and NOT just dump it in the tank!!!
What will likely happen with the new water the CPO will molt over night so you will find the old skin next AM but that's not going to be nothing to be alarmed over!!!

LisaC144 03-18-2010 09:40 AM

P.S. Also double and triple check that you added the right amount of drops for your pH test. One extra drop or one less drop can drastically skew your test results..

KSASTER2 03-18-2010 09:59 AM

that's what i figured also Lisa... i checked it 3 times and also the tap 3 times. unfortunatly it appears acurate.

ANYONE know how much crushed coral to add?

By the way this SUCKS... I thought evrything was FINE :(

Oldfishlady 03-18-2010 12:19 PM

Make sure you degas your tap water for 24h with an air stone to get an accurate reading on your tap water

How are the fish? are they acting okay?

Angel079 03-18-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSASTER2 (Post 346194)

ANYONE know how much crushed coral to add?

By the way this SUCKS... I thought evrything was FINE :(

I'd depend that on what your KH reading will be from the tap AND the tank!

I know its anything but cool - I'm right there with ya having the same issue in my two 10 g's set ups and testing in a bucket right now how I could work with Baking Soda (cause I can't find crushed coral here close by :cry:). We'll all get through this!!!

britnyjackson 03-18-2010 05:57 PM

OMG i'm having the same problem!! Mine just plummeted from 7.2 to 6 now!! My fish seem ok, but I'm stressed!! I've added ph increaser, but no luck yet. How much time should I let pass before I buy the crushed coral?? And how much should I add?
Oh, I have a 29 gal tank also.