Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   My Java Fern Had Babies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/my-java-fern-had-babies-39385/)

spoot 03-18-2010 12:06 AM

My Java Fern Had Babies?

So something weird happened over the course of a week or so.

I took some of my Java Ferns and gave them to my mom for her Tetra tank. I tied a few to some Mopani Wood, and some to some stones at the bottom of the tank. After a few days of being in the new tank I noticed some brown growth hanging from the tips of the leaves. I assumed at the time this was some form of hair algae, but I was being lazy and didn't clean it off... for like a week, or maybe two (I'm really lazy sometimes). Today, I stop in to check on her tanks and lo... the hair has grown leaves? Now what I assumed to be the start of some hair algae has more of a root look to it. It's like my ferns have little baby ferns growing from their leaves. I tried to get pics, but as good as the Motorola Droid is for everything else in the world, the camera doesn't focus worth a hoot, and don't even get me started on the voice dialing.

I thought Javas propagated through rhizome growth/splitting?

In short, any idea what this may be? Is it perfectly harmless? If so, how can I get my javas in my 55G to do it, cause it's awesome.

jeaninel 03-18-2010 02:18 AM

Yes, Java Ferns sprout daughter plants at the tips of their leaves. Just leave them be and eventually they will separate from the mother plant and float around until they attach to something.I have several daughter plants on each of my java ferns.

Aqua Jon 05-25-2010 09:59 PM

Wow, I'm glad you posted this spoot. I think I am having the same thing with my Java fern. Cept i have about 7 of these things. First I thought they were some type of micro fauna. They look like they have little tubes growing out of it yeah? SO COOL, hahaha :) I was hoping for some more Java fern too :) I will let you know and post a pic tomorrow when lights are back on.

Angel079 05-25-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 346095)
Yes, Java Ferns sprout daughter plants at the tips of their leaves.

Plus 1 right there, same with mine here! I can show you some old/new growth on mine next time you're over and you'll be able to see if that looks like your's (which I'm pretty sure it will).... :-D

zof 05-26-2010 01:24 PM

Check my post here to see a picture of the daughter plant, last I counted I now have 6 daughter plants growing on my 1 java fern each one will have multiple brown roots coming off a single leave a few days later you should see the leaves starting to grow.

Aqua Jon 05-27-2010 12:28 PM

Yay! I have exactly those! And the number is nearly doubling... May be selling them soon? or flooding my tank with Java fern :) Densely planted, here i come!

spoot 05-27-2010 01:03 PM

From my expierience, they grow pretty slowly.
Posted via Mobile Device