Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Problems with female Kribensis (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/problems-female-kribensis-39332/)

Promelas 03-17-2010 09:21 AM

Problems with female Kribensis

I recently purchased a pair of Kribensis, and in less than a week two females have died. The first one seemed fine originally, spending most of its time in a cave. I was gone over the weekend and found it dead yesterday. I replaced it last night with another and she's already dead this morning.

I acclimated the second one for around 2 hours before releasing it and it spent its whole life hiding behind my powerhead. Right from the get go she seemed to be swimming strange.

My pH is 7.5, hardness around 15... Double checked Ammonia/nitrite are both at 0s and nitrates are low as well. Had the store check it again too just to be sure. Tank is 76F

Anyone else hear of a problem like this? I can't figure out why they would be dying. The male seems quite healthy, and never pestered either female. I would really like a pair, but not if they keep dying in a couple of days!

1077 03-17-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promelas (Post 345656)
I recently purchased a pair of Kribensis, and in less than a week two females have died. The first one seemed fine originally, spending most of its time in a cave. I was gone over the weekend and found it dead yesterday. I replaced it last night with another and she's already dead this morning.

I acclimated the second one for around 2 hours before releasing it and it spent its whole life hiding behind my powerhead. Right from the get go she seemed to be swimming strange.

My pH is 7.5, hardness around 15... Double checked Ammonia/nitrite are both at 0s and nitrates are low as well. Had the store check it again too just to be sure. Tank is 76F

Anyone else hear of a problem like this? I can't figure out why they would be dying. The male seems quite healthy, and never pestered either female. I would really like a pair, but not if they keep dying in a couple of days!

Do dead fish appear beat up? When you say you acclimated for two hours ,was it drip acclimation? Were fish bought from same place?

Promelas 03-17-2010 11:10 AM

Well since I was gone when the first one died there was no way to tell if it was beat up. Everyone else enjoyed the food and ate the majority of it. The second looks perfect, no signs at all of abuse.

I don't have the necessary tools to drip acclimate, so I just gradually added my tank water in with the bag over a two hour period, I've done all my other fish/shrimp that way with no deaths.

Both fish were bought from the same place...there's 5 or 6 different stores around here, and I always go to the one that seems to have the healthiest fish.

1077 03-18-2010 12:59 AM

Drip acclimation only requires a bucket and an approx three foot long piece of airline tubing and a net.
I have had problems with using the bag method over extended period of time (longer than 45 min). Depending on how long fish are/were,in the bag ,,ammonia levels can be present at dangerous levels and if one does not dump a portion of the bag water out at regular intervals and refill the bag with water from the tank at regular intervals ,levels of toxins can get to lethal levels over extended acclimation.
Not saying you haven't considered this ,or are doing anything wrong,, just mentioning problems I have expierienced .
With bag method, I add 1/2 cup of tank water to the bag after floating it for twenty minutes, and another1/2 cup every four minutes. Bag is usually near full after fifteen minutes of adding water from the tank every four or five minutes. I then pour half the bag of water into a bucket and repeat adding water from the tank every four or five minutes. When bag is near full the second time, I usually net the fish from the bag and turn it loose in the aquarium and then dump the water from the bag down the sink.
Again ,not suggesting you are doing anythging wrong. Could be just fish are being moved too quickly from shipping bags to fishstore tanks ,and then from fish store tanks to your tank . Might try and purchase fish that have been in store tanks for a week before I purchased them and see if it makes a difference.
That's all I got.