Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   need advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-advice-3933/)

lilla 03-06-2007 07:51 PM

need advice

hi. i bought a 10 gallon fish tank about 3 weeks ago. needless to say, this is my first aquarium. in the beginning i did everything by the book, and everything was going great. now i'm rolling around my 3 week marker here and my nitrite levels are way up. i've done a 25% water change just the other day, and i'm doing 10% changes evry other day to try to get the nitrite levels down, but it's not working. i went to the pet store the other day, and the lady there suggested that i try a better filter so i did. now my water is murkier, and there's some kind of buildup thats on the inside of my tank walls that i just noticed today. i've been reading up on some of this, but nothing seems to give me the answer. i have 2 platys in there and they are sometimes frantically moving about, but there are no other visible signs.

are these normal signs :( of new aquariums or am i doing something wrong?

please help.

Lupin 03-06-2007 08:23 PM

Welcome.:wave:

What is your original filter and what filter did you buy this time?:) It appears you just have to wait until the nitrites go down and the nitrates should spike up. Try to ask your lfs for their established filter media if you haven't seed your tank with it yet. That will speed up the cycling process.:)

The buildup sounds like calcium deposits which you do not have to worry.

Keep checking your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I would suggest you use API Freshwater Master test kit.:) Test strips should be thrown to the bin.:) Also, pls listen carefully to what the lfs employees are talking about. If in doubt, check your books or ask in this forum.:)

Good luck.:)

lilla 03-06-2007 08:31 PM

thank you for replying. my first filter was the simple Top Fin filter that came w/ the starter kit. now i have the bio wheel power filter. i'm just trying to spare my fish. [/i]

Lupin 03-06-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilla
thank you for replying. my first filter was the simple Top Fin filter that came w/ the starter kit. now i have the bio wheel power filter. i'm just trying to spare my fish. [/i]

Hope all will go well.:) Just be patient. The tank will be fully cycled soon.:) Your platies should be able to withstand the effects of ammonia and nitrites considering their hardiness but there are times some will fail to survive due to inbreeding.

Terrainosaur 03-07-2007 09:09 PM

The BioWheel filter is an excellent purchase.

New tank syndrome is just what you described. Hopefully you have the bacteria that eat ammonia and turn it into nitrites. Next the bacteria that eat nitrites and turn them into nitrates will grow. You'll suddenly discover all the nitrites are gone in a 24 hour period. Don't overfeed. Don't clean the tank too much. Don't replace your filter (yet). I think you'll do fine.

Please post here again soon so we know what happened.