Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   tank crisis---late nighters help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tank-crisis-late-nighters-help-39319/)

stephanieleah 03-17-2010 12:44 AM

tank crisis---late nighters help!

I left for the evening and noticed my loaches sleeping in a higher place than normal (like, right near the top of the water).

When I came home, most of my adult shrimp and many babies were on the floating pennywort, my danios were at the top, loaches gasping and even the catfish babies were swimming at mid-level (very unusual).

I noticed that the filter intake that i just covered with pantyhose was severely obstructing the filter's intake capacity, so i took it off and figured the canister not running, plus it was set on a low flow, impacted the oxygen in the tank.

so I emptied the tank about a third so the water would splash about and create more oxygen in the water.

Any other ideas on how to quickly increase O2 supply in the tank?

Help!

Amriel 03-17-2010 01:00 AM

Put an Airstone

Amriel

stephanieleah 03-17-2010 01:06 AM

duh! i didn't even think of that : )

SilersAngryMeow 03-17-2010 01:15 AM

any updates? fish doing okay?

stephanieleah 03-17-2010 01:46 AM

yes! thanks for checking in.

so after about twenty minutes of drastically increased surface agitation and putting the filter on full blast, most of the shrimp came off the pennywort and the loaches went to their usual hiding spots. fish acting normally. just to be safe, i did a 40% wc.

i don't think i lost any fish (maybe a couple catfish, it's hard to tell because they hide so much) but maybe a couple shrimps, too. there are still a few on the floating pennywort. one looks like an old guy (cherry) plus a couple medium sized amanos (maybe full grown males). anyway, crisis averted with minimal loss, i guess. lord knows what would have happened had i not noticed something "different" in the tank walking in the house. just happened to stop and check and notice all the craziness.

iamntbatman 03-17-2010 03:55 AM

At night plants use O2 just like fish do. You might want to consider setting up an air stone in the tank that's on a timer and only comes on when the lights go out to prevent O2 levels from getting too low at night.

Angel079 03-17-2010 09:34 AM

Dang Girl that sounded pretty scary there last night!! Everybody already this AM???

Wasn't that the eheim you covered up?? I covered a lot of internal filters and canisters up over my yrs and never had it go 'dead' like this so I'm just wondering what's happening there with your filter cause that ain't normal.

1077 03-17-2010 09:52 AM

Panty hose material is too fine in my opinion. I have used it in a pinch and found that it doesn't take much in the way of particulates to clog it. If filter can't draw water unobstucted, then performance of filter is hampered. Turning down the flow of the filter in this instance,could result in that which was observed.
Might look for prefilter material a little more pourus and thus not clog as easily while allowing water to be drawn into the uptake a little better.
I have pref-ilter on Guppy tank with HOB filter and I must clean it each week to allow filter to operate at optimum level.

LisaC144 03-17-2010 10:38 AM

Thank goodness the problem was averted!!! I had the same issue with fish gasping at the top the other day when I medicated with my first dose for medication for a minor Ich problem. I dosed at half strength but shortly after all the tetras were gasping at the top. I quickly put in an airstone very lightly powered and within 5 mintues all fish were back to normal. It's always good to have an airstone on hand :-)

stephanieleah 03-17-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 345636)
Dang Girl that sounded pretty scary there last night!! Everybody already this AM???

Wasn't that the eheim you covered up?? I covered a lot of internal filters and canisters up over my yrs and never had it go 'dead' like this so I'm just wondering what's happening there with your filter cause that ain't normal.

It wasn't the panty hose that caused the problem, don't worry. It was the fact that when i put the pantyhose over the uptake, i had turned down the flow rate so i could remove the end of the hose without sucking up all my live stock. Then I forgot to turn it up. However, when I pinched out the pantyhose a little, it was really sucked up in there and so i removed a corner and as soon as i did that, water really started flowing faster.

What I've ended up doing is 1. just wait and see if I get a nice little shrimp colony in my filter, 2. lowered the water level in the tank (even today with some surface disturbance I still observed gasping loaches) so there is a nice bubbling sound as the water runs over the surface, and 3. I'm going to try to maybe increase my lighting a little so my plants work more to create O2 during the day!!!

I just couldn't believe ALL of my shrimp were at the top of the floating plants, with the exception of a few baby cherry shrimp...I didn't even realize I had so many shrimp in the tank! There were probably 2-3 dozen! Time for me to start giving away cherry shrimp :|