Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 Gallon Fresh Water Advice? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-gallon-fresh-water-advice-39314/)

dancexonxwater 03-16-2010 10:14 PM

10 Gallon Fresh Water Advice?

I have had my 10 gallon, fresh water tank for approximately a year now, but it seems that no matter what measures I take I am plagued by disease. I understand this is generally a sign of a water quality problem, but I've tested the water myself, as well as brought it to fish stores, and everything SEEMS to be fine.

I have an ammonia & pH test kit, but have had the nitrites/nitrates tested at fish stores during times of problems and there never seems to be a problem. I am particularly determined to find the problem SOON, so anyy advice on what i'm doing wrong is greatly appreciated.

My filter is "Aqua-Tech Power Filter" and i change the filter cartridges approximately every four weeks. I've been using "API Stress Coat+" to get rid of the chlorine, though I don't have a test kit for it, i imagine it does it's job. I also add some salt, since my tank has only mollies. I keep the temperature at 78F, there are no live plants, little algae, plenty of plastic plants and places to hide.

I don't mess with the pH, because I tried it once a long time ago and it just reverts back to normal in like a day. I suppose I would have to buffer it, but I read online it's best just to not mess with it. Therefore, my pH remains at aprox 7-8. I live on Long Island, which I believe has relatively soft water. When I clean the tank I usually try to do it once every two weeks, and really try to get the stuff out of hte gravel as much as possible.

I guess thats about it. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?? :-?

iamntbatman 03-17-2010 02:42 AM

What kind of disease are you talking about?

dancexonxwater 03-17-2010 07:34 AM

Oh, well right now it seems my molly has fin rot. So i'm treating it with maracyn-tc.

JMILLER 03-17-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancexonxwater (Post 345478)
My filter is "Aqua-Tech Power Filter" and i change the filter cartridges approximately every four weeks.

Here is problem #1, Don't ever change that filter. All that needs to be done is for you to gently clean the filter (in your old tank water during a water change) to knock off the large particles that would restrict the water flow. The blue filter should be cleaned every couple of weeks and the white filter about once a month. Every time you replace that filter you are throwing away the beneficial bacteria and causing a mini cycle to happen.

Also those blue filters have charcoal in them so you will need to remove it while treating the fish with meds.

dancexonxwater 03-18-2010 03:57 PM

I thought that you were supposed to replace it because the activated carbon gets old.

jeaninel 03-18-2010 04:35 PM

Just cut a slit in the cartridge and dump the old carbon out.

JMILLER 03-18-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancexonxwater (Post 346383)
I thought that you were supposed to replace it because the activated carbon gets old.

Someone a lot smarter than me will be around shortly to tell you why but it is my understanding that it's really not needed and once you put the new filter in the carbon is only effective for a few days.

Also that white filter ain't the best in the world (can you tell I have one of these filters). I took one from an AquaClear 20 and sliced it in half and it fit perfectly and it's a much better quality filter, cheap too.