Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Sick Angelfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/sick-angelfish-39281/)

fishmomma 03-16-2010 10:14 AM

Sick Angelfish

Yesterday I noticed a big problem with my angels. I have 3 and one was apparently dead at the top. I tried to net him and he swam away, but I netted him anyway and propped the net up so that he would have somewhere safe to rest. I then noticed another one displaying similar symptoms, but also having a big fat, distended belly...

1. What is the size of your tank? 37 gallons

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used. I use the API liquid and test tube measturements. My Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all 0 as they always are. My pH was at 7.4 and I just added some water buffer to bring it down to 7.0

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? Fresh water

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
Since October 26, 2009, so about 4.5 months

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? I have 3 angels that are about the size of half dollars (the bodies, nott he fins, with the fins they are about 4 or 5 inches maybe?), 2 german blue rams which are small, about an inch or so long. I have 5 otocinclus catfish which are seemingly full grown at around an inch and a half. I have 15 tetras, 13 should be neons and 2 should be cardinals, I'll explain this later. I've had the angels and many of the tetras and 3 of the otos since November, just got a few new tetras, 2 otos and the rams last week.

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No

7. What temperature is the tank water currently? 77 F

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? Yes, only live plants

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity. It's a Cascade 700 canister filter. I was told to let it run a few months without touching before I did anything with it. Last week I shut it down when I did my water change, changed the carbon and the 2 floss filters.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? No

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)? Very little natural sunlight, my lighting is ona timer that turns on at 7am and turns off at 8pm

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate? My last water change was on Tuesday March 9. I changed about 40% of the water. I had been on a few trips so hadn't gotten to do my weekly 20-30% water change, and since I was adding new plants and fish I decided to do a little more. I vacuumed the open parts of the gravel and then lightly went around where the plants are to remove any surface debris but leave the rest for the plants to handle. I generally do weekly water changes (usually on Mondays) but when I know I won't be able to do that, I will sometimes do a 15-25% change every few days leading up to the period of time that I won't be able to work hard on the tank.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule? My fish eat Sera Vipan flake which they are fed either a small amount each evening or a little bit more every other day when I am not home.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? I bought 10 cardinals, 2 rams and 2 otos last week when I did my water change. The rams were from the same filter and water system as the cardinals and are fine. My cardinals have been dying off steadily and now I only have 2 left. Yesterday I noticed my platinum angel floating at the top but he wasn't dead, he's still doing this. Later on, my black angel started doing the same thing, except his belly is bloated and it looks like the scales are rubbing off? He is visably fat, and it doesn't just look fat, it looks stretched. Neither can swim well, they are floating on their sides at the top of the tank and are right now in a net so that they can stay out of the flow of the filter.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis. I don't like chemicals very much so I do not own any fish medications. Yesterday when I noticed my platinum angel not doign well, I treated the tank with some Tetra Safe Start as I always add this when I add new fish and they have always, up to this point, survived. The SafeStart didn't do anything, and today I tested the water and found everything but the pH to be normal, so I treated the tank with some pH Neutral Regulator to bring my pH from 7.4 to 7.0 thinking maybe this was a cause. Other than that I haven't done anything. My marbled angel, my 2 rams, my 15 tetras and my 5 otos are all normal, lively, eating well and vibrant.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

neon100 04-07-2010 03:40 PM

i think your fish may have a bladder problem theres nothing that can be done about that just dont handle your fish as the coting on their skin is very delicate and can leave them open for ifnection/disease.