Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   10 Gallon Frag tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/10-gallon-frag-tank-39262/)

n1zjd 03-15-2010 08:15 PM

10 Gallon Frag tank

Well just getting started in corals here but Im having such a great time with saltwater that I want to setup a small frag tank just to play around. If I was to use a 10 gallon tank as a frag tank would a 1" sandbed be sufficient with 10lbs of live rock? It wouldnt be put to use anytime soon just asking before considering options. I would be working with Mushrooms, Zoas and Florida Ricordia.

I know 10 gallons is a small tank and isnt going to take many frags but like I said just curious here. No sense setting up a large frag tank to find out fragging corals doesnt interest me much. Thanks

onefish2fish 03-16-2010 03:24 AM

IMO, not worth it. If theres any fragging to be done, do it and then put the frags into your display. the 10 gallon frag tank wont be as stable, which would just further stress. This would also mean you need another light source, powerheads, heater and so forth. if a "place" to put frags interests you, look into magnet frag racks, even DIY ones. Alittle further down the road when more corals are in play and even more expensive ones, AND you've def. decided this hobby is for you, i say start a small frag tank but i personally wouldnt waste time on one smaller then a 30 breeder and this way you could plumb it into your main tank to increase water volume.
while on this topic, the sand is prob. best left out to make cleaning in the tank really easy as well as the option to have excellent flow without creating a sand storm.

outpost 04-04-2010 02:20 AM

I agree with onefish. I was thinking about doing the same thing that you want to do. But I didn't because its more hassle than it's worth and you can just do the same in your main tank. By the way I have a 29 AGA reef too.

bearwithfish 04-20-2010 11:42 AM

to add an option or to ask an opinion really would it be a good idea to set up a sump (in so far as it takes water from the main and pumps it back) and keep frags in there? this is an idea i am also playing with for the future.. i was thinking just a ten with flow in and out and maybe a power head.. really the only other thing in the tank would be some DIY frag shelves made from egg crate....

onefish2fish 04-20-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 366179)
to add an option or to ask an opinion really would it be a good idea to set up a sump (in so far as it takes water from the main and pumps it back) and keep frags in there? this is an idea i am also playing with for the future.. i was thinking just a ten with flow in and out and maybe a power head.. really the only other thing in the tank would be some DIY frag shelves made from egg crate....

as long as there are lights capable of keeping the corals, this will work. its more stable to have it tied into your display tank for the fact theres more water but i know some like to keep a seperate tank so they can keep back up pieces of corals incase a tank crash, as well as isolate things from the main display and other reasons. in the end its personal preference but i personally wouldnt set up a completely seperate 10 gallon tank just for frags. if the 10 was tied into the entire system it would be alot easier as all you would need to do is put lights over it and a powerhead.