Tropical Fish Keeping banner

10 gallon stocking. . (nano fish ?)

18K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  tophat665 
#1 ·
first off, hello ! i'm new to this forum . .
i have an empty 10 gallon i'd like to re-stock, and i'd like to find some really, really small fish to put in it. i found some rasboras that i like, however i don't know what they are or how i'll find them ! here are pictures. .

the website says this is boraras merah

boraras urolphthalmoides

and boraras brigittae

it'd be much easier to know what the common names of these are. if you have any other suggestions on pretty fish that are realllly small, i'd really appreciate it !

- thanks, amber

See less See more
#2 ·
i think rasboras are known more commonly as scissortails?? the only scissortails i had heard of were rasbora caudimaculata though and theyre not small, about 6" as far as i know so no use for a 10g tank. looking at the photos you have there its a different fish, but similar, to the one i know. just check that they do stay small before you go getting shoals of them.

if youre looking for little fish that will look good in a shaol, cardinals, neons or black neon tetras maybe? all pretty little fish and easy to get a hold of as theyre quite popular.

hope this helps anyway

#3 ·
Scissortails are just one type of Rasbora. They do get up to 6 inches so they are not what you are looking for. I currently have five 2 inch Scissortails in my ten gallon. They are waiting for a new home. I had them in my 75 gallon but they were not doing well so I moved them to the 10 gallon. The fish in the pictures are very pretty. I wouldn't mind have about ten of my own!

#4 ·
after posting that i had a wee look and yes my mistake, scissortails are only one type of rasbora rather than rasboras being a type of scissortail which is what i initially thought, sorry about that. im new to this and this is all very confusing to me. im going to stick to my cories - at least i know what they are lol came across a harlequin/red rasbora. they grow only to 2" apparently which would be much better for your size of tank and are quite nice - some have a nice red colour, but still not the fish in the picture. quite easy to sex as well which is good if you do or don't want to breed them either way.

#5 ·
haha yeah ! i'm looking for fish that are more like. . 2.5 cm rather than inches. apparently all of those rasboras that i listed get 2.5 cm, but it'd really be easier on me if anyone knew a common name for them so i can try to find more information or try to order them online. as i said, any other suggestions of fish are appreciated, i don't necessarily have my mind set on these rasboras and i'd like to know if there are any other fish that are this small

#7 ·
2.5cm is really very tiny. if you want fish that size then neon tetras would probably be your best bet. cardinals are a bit more colourful but a wee bit bigger. still pretty small though. also a small group of albino cories or something would be really nice imo. they stay pretty small as well and will help clean up any waste in your tank, though i am a bit biased towards them as they are my favourite fish

#10 ·
What a friend told me to do, since my littlest black neon did a total Finding Nemo up the filter, is take some quilt batting and put it on the suction thingie and put a rubber band around it. Thuban, the little black neon, has grown, so I didnt try it, but it sounds like a good plan to me.

#12 ·
There aren't, so far as I know, standard common names for any of the microrasboas except for the galaxy rasbora (which these aren't). I have heard Exclamation Point Rasbora for B. brigittae, and Dwarf Rasbora for B. merah. Those three that you list are among the most recommended fish for a planted pico - nano tank. Another member of that genus B. maculatus (I think that's it), is even more common in award winning planted nano tanks.

None of them are readily available (in the US any way - where you are, maybe a different story), none of the are cheap.

#13 ·
I just did a little googling and found the following common names...

Bororas merah: Dwarf Clown Rasbora, Phoenix Rasbora

Bororas urophthalmoides: Exclamation Point Rasbora, Sparrow Rasbora

Bororas brigitte: Dwarf Redfin Rasbora, Chili Rasbora

The only site I could find that sells them is franksaquarium.com/nanofish. I also looked on aquabid.com, but they only have Galaxy Rasboras at the moment.

Hope this helps some :)

#16 ·
deceptacon said:
ok ! so i think i decided. . maybe. . would Corydoras hastatus work with Boraras brigittae in a 10 gallon ? and if so, how many of each would work ?
Yes, I don't see how the cories can attack or bother their fellow tankmates. Being small, you can have 10 cories if your wallet permits. Wiht Boraras species, 20 can actually fit. Still the same as the case of 100 neons in a 55 gallons tank. I doubt Boraras ever would contribute too much wastes.

#19 ·
awesome :) thanks ! i decided on 8 corys, 4 bumblebee shrimp, and 10 rasboras [Boraras merah]. not sure how i should order them, don't want to add too many at once and make the levels insane. should i get the plants first ?? i actually might try Marsilea quadrifolia, the four-leaf clover along with anubias nana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.