Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Good animal sand sifter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/good-animal-sand-sifter-392402/)

Vpaw 05-05-2014 09:27 AM

Good animal sand sifter?

I have 3 tanks with sand, and I don't want to sift it myself, and I don't really do it much, just once a week during wc... What can I get to sift it for me?

20 gallon planted- titanium moon sand, has cherry shrimp, Cory catfish, apple snail, ottos, 2 plattys.

5 gallon- african dwarf frogs

45 gallon- red tailed shark, angels, black skirt tetras, nerite snails, Molly's and I think I spotted some kind of small snail today, and it didn't look like a normal snail, so I'm hoping it's a malasyian trumpet snail... It's shell is kind of that shape but not as vivid..

Thanks!

shellieca 05-05-2014 10:06 AM

My understanding, which could be wrong, is that you don't have to sift the sand but poke holes in it. I don't have sand so I can't advise on a sifter. I have gotten over run with the MTS that hitchhiked in on some plants, if you do have one or two it won't take long for them to multiply.

Crazyfish 05-05-2014 10:07 AM

I think ram cichlids are sand sifters..... i keep them on gravel so i cant verify

Vpaw 05-05-2014 10:44 AM

Good animal sand sifter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyfish (Post 4414994)
I think ram cichlids are sand sifters..... i keep them on gravel so i cant verify

Would they be appropriate for any of my sized tanks? Rams are very pretty, but since my angels are cichlids they can't mix? Maybe in the 20?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Crazyfish 05-05-2014 11:11 AM

Rams should be fine with angels.... they may confront the redtail shark for territory but the tank is big enough for them. They would do ok in the 20 as well..... just not sure how they are around snails

jaysee 05-05-2014 11:30 AM

I've never sifted, stirred or poked holes in the hundreds of pounds of sand in my tanks. I do have trumpet snails in all my tanks though.

The concern about the gas bubbles killing your fish is a theoretical one. Practically speaking, you have nothing to worry about. We see people start threads about every stupid little thing, and yet SOMEHOW, this poisonous gas bubble business is something that everyone manages to avoid. Now I'm not saying that it doesn't exist - I'm sure someone can go dig up a thread somewhere and say "see! It happened here!" To which I say "go find me 10 examples." It's just a really, really, really rare occurrence. I've got a combined 30k posts on forums - spent quite a bit of time helping people with their problems, and yet I can't recall a single case of gas bubbles killing fish....and I have a stellar memory.

sugar379c 05-05-2014 08:48 PM

Rams are fine with snails. I have 4 mystery snails in with my two electric blues and they show no interest whatsoever in my snails.

Vpaw 05-05-2014 09:29 PM

Good animal sand sifter?

How are rams with Cory catfish? Red cherry shrimp?

And that's a good point, I haven't heard of it either, but it's still good to do, right?

jaysee 05-05-2014 09:50 PM

Rams are fine with Corys. Shrimp? You could probably keep a colony If the tank were set up right. Some will be eaten though, no doubt.

Vpaw 05-05-2014 10:06 PM

The tank is basically a shoal of corrys in a shrimp tank XD rams are pretty though... How much of a problem would the shark really be? And would one get used to my perimeters?