Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   CO2 and Other things (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/co2-other-things-39226/)

milindsaraswala 03-15-2010 01:04 PM

CO2 and Other things
 
I have 8 gallon tank with only 1 plant and it is doing well now in just 1 week. I am putting lights for 8 - 10 hours a day daily. I can see some small amount of growth in my plants without CO2.

But now I am thinking to put CO2, with more new plants. So I was looking from you guys that what nutrition and amount of CO2 should I put what water parameter should I keep in mind

Next thing I am trying to make DIY CO2 can anyone give me idea how can I control CO2 flow at night.

Please I will very appreciate you people advice

stephanieleah 03-15-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milindsaraswala (Post 344617)
I have 8 gallon tank with only 1 plant and it is doing well now in just 1 week. I am putting lights for 8 - 10 hours a day daily. I can see some small amount of growth in my plants without CO2.

But now I am thinking to put CO2, with more new plants. So I was looking from you guys that what nutrition and amount of CO2 should I put what water parameter should I keep in mind

Next thing I am trying to make DIY CO2 can anyone give me idea how can I control CO2 flow at night.

Please I will very appreciate you people advice

First of all nice to meet you, as I don't think we've met before : )

What kind of lighting do you have over your tank? (watts, kelvin, type of bulb)

If you do co2 you'll need lots of light and ferts, and I'm wondering why you are thinking of going co2 over an 8 gallon tank? you'll get good plant growth but you're also looking at a very high maintenance tank. I would not suggest diy co2 unless you have no fish because it's hard to regulate the amount of co2 and I've known people who have killed lots of livestock using diy. if you just want to ensure good plant growth, all you really need is good (but not excessive lest algae take over) light, "enough" co2 (provided by fish) and ferts (trace ferts added 1-2 times per week are enough).

Sometiemes when we first plant our plants, they grow really well for a while and if they are not being fertilized or have poor conditions, we will see the growth slow as the energy and nutrient reserve depletes. But I'm happy to hear your plants are doing well.

Byron 03-15-2010 01:49 PM

I agree with Stephanie. In my 20 years of heavily-planted and thriving aquaria I have never supplemented carbon (CO2 or liquid). If there are fish in the aquarium, they will provide CO2 (as do all biological processes in the substrate breaking down organics for nutrients). The success of a planted tank is one of balance between light and the 17 nutrients plants require, of which carbon (CO2) is just one. As soon as you increase carbon with CO2 diffusion, you are setting up a completely different "balance" level, and light plus the other 16 nutrients have to be significantly increased to balance. We are no longer in the realm of a balanced natural aquarium where nature handles most of it, but it becomes far more "artificial" in a sense and as Steph mentioned requires considerably more input from the aquarist to keep it balanced at that higher level.

milindsaraswala 03-15-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanieleah (Post 344629)
First of all nice to meet you, as I don't think we've met before : )

What kind of lighting do you have over your tank? (watts, kelvin, type of bulb)

If you do co2 you'll need lots of light and ferts, and I'm wondering why you are thinking of going co2 over an 8 gallon tank? you'll get good plant growth but you're also looking at a very high maintenance tank. I would not suggest diy co2 unless you have no fish because it's hard to regulate the amount of co2 and I've known people who have killed lots of livestock using diy. if you just want to ensure good plant growth, all you really need is good (but not excessive lest algae take over) light, "enough" co2 (provided by fish) and ferts (trace ferts added 1-2 times per week are enough).

Sometiemes when we first plant our plants, they grow really well for a while and if they are not being fertilized or have poor conditions, we will see the growth slow as the energy and nutrient reserve depletes. But I'm happy to hear your plants are doing well.

I have PL white light with 15 watt i think I am not sure I will tell you tomorrow for sure. As per you I will drop idea for CO2
But I don't understand what do you mean by "all you really need is good (but not excessive lest algae take over) light"

and what kind of easily available ferts (trace ferts should be added 1-2 times per week ) thanx for your kind reply

stephanieleah 03-15-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milindsaraswala (Post 344641)
I have PL white light with 15 watt i think I am not sure I will tell you tomorrow for sure. As per you I will drop idea for CO2
But I don't understand what do you mean by "all you really need is good (but not excessive lest algae take over) light"

and what kind of easily available ferts (trace ferts should be added 1-2 times per week ) thanx for your kind reply

ferts: Flourish comprehensive supplement is one example, and depending on if you get root feeding plants then fert tabs as well

light: 15 watts is reasonable over that size of tank and also should be at least 6500K so you get the full spectrum that plants benefit from, preferably "daylight". if you see signs of algae growth in your tank (not diatoms which is the brown stuff that comes while your tank finds stability) then the first thing I'd do is alter the lighting (decrease the wattage) and make sure you're fertilizing. Byron has posted stickies at the top of the plant section of this forum if you want more in depth info on the relationship between plants, lights, algae, co2, nutrietns/ferts.

milindsaraswala 03-19-2010 06:04 AM

I check my lights it is 22 watts and 6700K. And as I told you my plants are doing good . But from last two days what I am watching is my new leafs are comming brown rather than green what can be the problem. and how can i solve it.

Byron 03-20-2010 12:32 PM

Does the "brown" wipe off the leaf with your finger? If yes, it is brown algae, more correctly known as diatoms. But if it is the actual leaf that is brown, there is an imbalance between light and nutrients.

22w of 6700K light over an 8g is a fair bit of light; how long is the light on each day (it should be close to the same duration every day)? And are you using any liquid fertilizer yet (you don';t mention any)?

Byron.

milindsaraswala 03-21-2010 08:52 AM

No it cannot be wipe out with my hand. I am putting it for 8 - 10 hrs everyday. I am puting any liquid fertilizer

redchigh 03-21-2010 06:53 PM

keep the light at 10 hours per day. (mine are 12, just because I like looking at it. In nature, full daylight is 10 hrs.)

I'm not sure about aquatic plants, but I'm an avid gardener... Discolored leaves are usually a nutrient deficiency.
Do you have fish in the tank? What kind?
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say you need some iron (especially since dechlorinators that neutralise heavy metals, neutralise iron- If you have hardy fish, I'd reccomend you fill a large (at least 1 gal) container with tap water, and let it sit for 24 hours. Aerate it with an airstone if possible.
That will remove the chlorine... then add it to your tank.
You might have enough trace elements in the tap water to fox the prob.

You're not using distilled, bottled, or RO water by any chance are you?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2