Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Saying hello! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/saying-hello-39184/)

RichB 03-14-2010 04:21 PM

Saying hello!

Hi all!

Rich here... just wanted to introduce myself.

Well, I have been keeping fish on and off for many years. For the most part my tanks have been saltwater / reef. Recently my wife and I had our home renovated and I lost my entire 58 gal reef which I had going for the last couple years. (I know.. it's small, but it was mine and a lot of hardwork went into it).

Well... My 4 year old son looks at the tank every day as do my wife and I... but now, it's empty :(

My son keeps telling me he wants more fish... Nemo, Dora... and Harry (potter angel he loved to watch). In any case, I would like to do something with the tank. I'm leaning toward freshwater this time... So, thats where I am at, and thats why I found you guys / gals!

I'm off to do some searching and reading and at least one post with a bunch of questions I have.

Rich

aunt kymmie 03-14-2010 04:26 PM

Hi Rich, welcome to TFK! How sad to lose a tank, after putting so much time and love into it. You'll be back up and swimming in no time. :)

JohnnyD44 03-14-2010 04:30 PM

hello and welcome!!!

Romad 03-14-2010 05:56 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your fish loss... :(

I have to move my tanks twice in June and I'm already lying awake nights worrying about losing my fish. Can I ask how you lost them?

dramaqueen 03-14-2010 06:23 PM

Hello and welcome to TFK.

RichB 03-14-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 344232)
Hi and welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your fish loss... :(

I have to move my tanks twice in June and I'm already lying awake nights worrying about losing my fish. Can I ask how you lost them?

Not really sure... The construction on the house was on the second floor. We put up plastic barriers in the hall from the stairwell to isolate dust and what not. We also covered the tank with a layer of plastic during the day, and removed it at night just before the lights kicked on. In any case, I came home one day to find the surface of the water looking like it had a film over it... even with the high flow rate return pump, and two powerheads moving the water, you could still very clearly see the film.

well, shortly after that a tang died, then the potter angel. You could see the coral receding and slowly die, and cover with a white film, then a paired set of percula clowns and a few blue-green damsels. Normal water tests didn't show anything... everything was in range. This all happened within a span of two weeks. One thing I noticed on the clowns was a high respitory rate.

I tried a couple water changes, a few days apart... nothing. Once everything died, the only stuff that lived were the cleaning crew... crabs.

The only thing I can think of is one of the workers opened the plastic barriers after they had spray something upstairs... or dust from the work go to the tank.

Twistersmom 03-14-2010 07:55 PM

Hello Rich! Welcome to the forum!

iamntbatman 03-16-2010 03:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your tank. Reef tanks are hard work and are all the more enjoyable because of the work that goes into them so that must have been tough. It's really good to hear that you're sticking with the hobby. Hopefully you'll get some inspiration from our members and will be back on your feet in no time!

willow 03-16-2010 08:46 PM

hello and welcome to you and your family.
i hope you'll be very happy here.
sorry to hear you lost your fish.

discus lover 03-16-2010 08:47 PM

hello and welcome to our forum..