Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How many Rose Line Sharks in 100 gal tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-many-rose-line-sharks-100-a-39166/)

mags2313 03-14-2010 10:53 AM

How many Rose Line Sharks in 100 gal tank?

Please advise!

I have 12 gorgeous Puntius denisonii (aka Rose Line Shark, Red Line Torpedo Barb, Bleeding Eye, etc. etc.) happily quarantining in a 20 gallon tank. They are about 3.5 cm long (aprox. 1.5 inches). Soon they will be moved to my 100 gallon system (comprised of a 65 gallon display tank and a 35 gallon filter/sump - massively over-filtered and moderately planted.)

How many of these beauties can I realistically keep in my 100 gallon system:
if I keep only them in the tank and no others;
if I keep only them in the tank with 3 botia kobutai (2.5 inches each) and 3 botia histrionica (3.5 inches each);
if I keep them, all six botias, and four rainbow fish (full grown size 3 inches each);
if I keep them, all six botias, the four rainbows, two 3" blue gouramis and some green tiger barbs as well????

I suspect the answers range from all in the first scenario, to none in the last, but I am anxious to get the opinion of other folks in the hobby.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

ignoblesavage

Pasfur 03-14-2010 08:31 PM

[quote=mags2313;344002]Please advise!

I have 12 gorgeous Puntius denisonii (aka Rose Line Shark, Red Line Torpedo Barb, Bleeding Eye, etc. etc.) happily quarantining in a 20 gallon tank. They are about 3.5 cm long (aprox. 1.5 inches). Soon they will be moved to my 100 gallon system (comprised of a 65 gallon display tank and a 35 gallon filter/sump - massively over-filtered and moderately planted.)

How many of these beauties can I realistically keep in my 100 gallon system:
if I keep only them in the tank and no others;[/qoute]

I think you can keep the group of 12 for quite some time, but long term you will need a bigger tank. These guys grow to over 6'' in length, so a 65 gallon display is really at the bare minimum of tank size that you would want to consider.

Quote:

if I keep only them in the tank with 3 botia kobutai (2.5 inches each) and 3 botia histrionica (3.5 inches each);
No changes. The area of the water column occupied by these fish has no impact on the denisonii.

Quote:

if I keep them, all six botias, and four rainbow fish (full grown size 3 inches each)
What type of rainbow? Their size ranges from 2'' to 12'', depending on species.

Quote:

if I keep them, all six botias, the four rainbows, two 3" blue gouramis and some green tiger barbs as well????
This combination will work fine for now, but within 3 to 6 months as the denisonii grow you will have to eliminate most all of the additional fish listed here.