Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
- - real wood in tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/real-wood-tank-39161/)
real wood in tank?
I found a log that i would like to put in my tank. Figured I would clean it up real good and soak it in water for at least a week before i put it in. Has anyone had any experience with doing this and will I encounter any water quality issues? I'm not really sure what kind of wood it is. Tank is brand new, just gravel in it at the present time.
There's a few problem you may run into
1) Being outdoors it may or may not have been contaminated with pesticides or any other chems for that matter that you won't see and are going to be harmful for your fish.
2) There may well be some micro organisms living in that wood you don't see and may not necessarily wanna add to your tanks (in most cases boiling the wood would take care of that part)
3) If its any normal non water loving tree eg Oak, Maple, Dogwood yaddy ya it will rot under water in a timeframe anywhere's from from here till a year from now. Obviously you don't want that and want to remove it again before it rotten in your tank.
thanks for the reply. thats about what i figured, I'm just getting frustrated i guess cause I cant find what I want at pet stores etc.
I'm sorry to hear that same issue here in TN.
Had you considered looking at aquabid or ebay? Also check the classifieds here I think someone had wood for sale here too.
Welcome to TFK!
Apart from the issues Natalie already addressed, another issue is that not all wood will sink. It can take a really long time to waterlog a piece of non-sinking wood. The types sold at the LFS will either sink on their own or come attached to pieces of slate to weigh them down. I second Aquabid if there aren't any LFS's near you that have a good selection. Sometimes people sell big lots of driftwood on Aquabid for good prices.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.