Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Amonia problems (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/amonia-problems-39154/)

scotty81 03-13-2010 10:39 PM

Amonia problems

I am currently haveing problems with amonia. My tank has been up and runing for 3 weeks now, it is a 40 galon cichlid tank. Not knowing much about fish keeping after 3 days I put in 2 bristlenose catfish ( plecos ) a week later I added 4 electric yellow cichlids ( yellow lab ) then just yesterday an electric blue ( hap ). My water up until 4 days ago has been fine but over the last 3 days the amonia has rissen to 1. This is worrying and I'm not sure how to fix it and dont want the fish to die. The other problem is I have 3 more fish on order which are due to arive in the next 5 to 10 days.

What can I do?

Oldfishlady 03-13-2010 11:01 PM

What are your other numbers for nitrite, nitrate, pH
How much and how often on your water changes and when was the last one, type of additive used if any, water temp, filtration?
Right now I would start making water change to get he ammonia down, is this tank cycled?

scotty81 03-13-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldfishlady (Post 343857)
What are your other numbers for nitrite, nitrate, pH
How much and how often on your water changes and when was the last one, type of additive used if any, water temp, filtration?
Right now I would start making water change to get he ammonia down, is this tank cycled?

Ok Nitrite and Nitrate are 0

PH is 7.8

I've been doing 1 water change a week last one was wednesday.

I have been useing a water treatment when putting in new water and also useing stress zyme.

Tank temp is 26 and it is a top filter bout 1200L/hr

Oldfishlady 03-13-2010 11:37 PM

It looks like you are not cycled yet, do you understand the nitrogen cycle?
As your ammonia convert to nitrite and the nitrite to nitrate.....you know you are cycled when your reading are 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate for several says without water changes...until then you need to make water changes when you test 0.25ppm ammonia/nitrite, but don't vacuum the gravel more than one time a week or touch the filter media unless the water flow has slowed and then only swish it in old tank water with a water change to get the big gunk off, you want it to look dirty...thats okay....

The nitrifying bacteria needed to cycle the tank are sticky and adhere to everything in the tank...like the walls, decoration in the top layer of the gravel and in the filter media, very little are in the water column itself so water changes will not hurt the cycling process...doing a fish cycle you need to make frequent water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control to save the fish just don't vacuum more than once a week or over clean the filter media, you may have to make daily water changes and some time 2 50% water changes a day to keep the ammonia under control to keep the fish safe, use dechlorinator with all new water added and keep the water temp within a couple of degree from new and old water to prevent temp related shock.....