Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   I'm new! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/im-new-39149/)

YellowOctopus 03-13-2010 08:53 PM

I'm new!

Hi!

I'm a biology student in SE Wisconsin. Feel free to call me Sam if you want, though I'm likely to respond to my username, "hey you" or any variation thereof. I'm not all that new to aquaria, having kept one for a while several years ago and just starting one last April. My current setup is a 20 gal tropical tank (hoping to upgrade to a 27 gal hex tank and a 10 gal briny tank soon...) with 4 danios, 4 neon tetras, 2 celebes rainbows, 1 gold two-bar platy, a ghost shrimp, an algae eater and a bumblebee goby. I'm mostly here for advice, though it's always nice to meet other people in the hobby.

I'm also a beginner herp hobbyist, having a sole bearded dragon (Wally, who is 11 months) and hoping for a couple more (snake or a frilled dragon) soonish. I work as a lab assistant in an environmental toxicology lab on the Lake using mostly zebrafish/danios. I'm also a SCUBA diver.

Yeah...that was a really scattered intro, but hopefully it made some semblance of sense.

Sam

CSFishtank546 03-13-2010 09:09 PM

Fresh water right? I only have a 10 gallon tank which is annoying since I want to keep lots of types of fish. How often do you clean your tank? I am fairly new to fishkeeping and everyone says something different!

Romad 03-13-2010 09:13 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. What an interesting job you have :)

YellowOctopus 03-13-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSFishtank546 (Post 343782)
Fresh water right? I only have a 10 gallon tank which is annoying since I want to keep lots of types of fish. How often do you clean your tank? I am fairly new to fishkeeping and everyone says something different!

I'd say do a 1 gallon change once a week. You should search the forums for second opinions, though.

aunt kymmie 03-13-2010 09:58 PM

Welcome to TFK, Sam. We're glad you decided to join us. I also dive. Where do you usually dive? :)

YellowOctopus 03-13-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 343809)
Welcome to TFK, Sam. We're glad you decided to join us. I also dive. Where do you usually dive? :)

Thanks!

Haha, actually, I mostly volunteer with a local aquarium cleaning the tanks and waving to crowds. It's fun. There's not much good but cheap diving around here, unfortunately. You?

willow 03-14-2010 04:27 AM

hello and welcome.
i hope you will be very happy here with us,
i love the sound of your job.
i have bearded dragon too,hope you'll be able
to show some pictures :)

Twistersmom 03-14-2010 09:15 AM

Hey you! ;-)
Welcome to the forum Sam!

iamntbatman 03-16-2010 03:17 AM

Welcome to the forum! Hope you like it here.

aunt kymmie 03-16-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowOctopus (Post 343865)
Thanks!

Haha, actually, I mostly volunteer with a local aquarium cleaning the tanks and waving to crowds. It's fun. There's not much good but cheap diving around here, unfortunately. You?

The diving off of the California coast (where I live) is a little boring (and cold!), especially after having been in the waters off of the Hawaiian Islands, The Florida Keys, Tahiti, Mexico and Costa Rica.
If I could afford it I'd do yearly dive trips in far away places where it was warm, tropical and exotic. :)

So, are you diving in these tanks while you're waving to crowds? Sounds fun!