Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   I have no breeding tank; my fry are being eaten :frustrated: (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/i-have-no-breeding-tank-my-39138/)

CSFishtank546 03-13-2010 06:13 PM

I have no breeding tank; my fry are being eaten :frustrated:

I can't afford another tank and the store I go to doesn't sell separator nets but I want to raise fry. They keep getting eaten by the adult fish.:frustrated: Is there any other way to protect them?

Austin 03-13-2010 06:58 PM

Buy a breeder net or a breeder box contraption and let them grow in there.

Angel079 03-13-2010 07:00 PM

No breeder net stuff needed. Just get some fine plants like water wisteria, camboma and alike plant in your tank fry will hide in there. the 50% fry that won't be smart enough to hide in there that'll be alright...cause you gotta think each lil Molly or Platy has about 40-50 fry each time they're pregnant every few weeks and if ALL survived your tank would be wayyyyyy overstocked and becoming sick with a few weeks-months there.

Austin 03-13-2010 07:10 PM

Ah, yea, Angel's right. If you don't have a large tank to raise the fry in you're not going to want to save them all anyways.

kald 03-20-2010 08:20 AM

Java moss. Lots of it.

I have platy fry living in a 15 gallon populated with 7 adult danios. Two have lived to adulthood so far. Java moss is very useful for raising fry if you can't get your hands on extra space.

Amriel 03-20-2010 08:37 AM

You have Options
1. Get a cheap 5g tank from CL
2. Breeder Box
3. Get Floating Plants for Fry to hide in
4. Use a 5 gallon bin

And That's Pretty much what i can think of right about now!

Amriel

redchigh 03-20-2010 11:09 AM

I agree on the plants... My guppy fry seem to love the hornwort best of all.

BTW, what is eating your fry? (I need something to put in my 10G to eat guppy fry)

Ah, and if you go to a hobby store, see what kind of needlepoint fabric they have.
If they have some fine needlepoint sheets (really a fine flexible screen) that's acrylic, you could make something.

CSFishtank546 03-20-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 347630)
I agree on the plants... My guppy fry seem to love the hornwort best of all.

BTW, what is eating your fry? (I need something to put in my 10G to eat guppy fry)

Ah, and if you go to a hobby store, see what kind of needlepoint fabric they have.
If they have some fine needlepoint sheets (really a fine flexible screen) that's acrylic, you could make something.

Umm I have lots of fish, dunno which ones are eating the fry, but I had Platy's, Tetras, Barbs, and Cory's @ the time.

biokid101 03-21-2010 08:30 PM

id say the barbs are eating them the most

Bacchus 03-22-2010 12:59 PM

you can start up a tank to raise fry in made out of other things like a large plastic storage bin or an old cooler. both of these things will work just fine.