Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Java Moss balls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/java-moss-balls-39130/)

rachel1811 03-13-2010 05:58 PM

Java Moss balls

Hey :-)

This is my first post!! A real beginner and I cant find the answer to this question anywhere and was hoping 1 of u clever ppl could help me :-?

When I put a moss ball in a new tank, does it need anything extra or can u just plonk n go?? We have a small 30L tank with 4 platys in n have read they need live plants. Been advised that moss balls are easiest way to go.

Any advise or suggestions plz???

Thanks

Rachel :-)

Angel079 03-13-2010 07:12 PM

First of Welcome Rachel :-)

The reason you'd want to have live plants are 1) Its natural to the fish so it makes them all less skiddish 2) Plants do help a LOT in keeping the water clean for your fish 3) They produce oxygen for your fish and utilize the fish co2 4) Plants are very attractive to the eye of the owner.
Now adding 1 moss ball is not really a lot plants and won't do a whole lot for you there. So you may like to consider adding any kind of Stem plant to your tank (or 2 or 3) to help you fish & yourself having good water. And yes you just add the ball's to the tank some may float a lil bit till they're fully water logged but then they'll sink by themselves.

Austin 03-13-2010 08:08 PM

Well, whoever told you that you /need/ them is incorrect. You don't need them, but they are very nice! :)

Anyways about java moss... I don't know about MOSS BALLS but I have Java moss (java moss =/= moss ball), and java moss is pretty easy to keep. In some tanks I had without proper lighting it has survived. But I recommend buying a full spectrum light (6500k) if you plan to keep plants. Most of the undemanding plants that's about all you should need. Java moss will grow nicely if you have a proper light. :) It's easy to care for.

aunt kymmie 03-13-2010 08:11 PM

Welcome to TFK, Rachel! We're glad you decided to join us. :)

blacksheep 03-13-2010 08:33 PM

hello welcome to TFK! :]
For moss balls you need water current strong enough to let it roll around aka moss BALL xP
and if it stays in place to long, it will just flatten out :[

redchigh 03-13-2010 10:14 PM

For about 13 bucks you can order a few large bunches of stem plants from..

www.sweetaquatics.com

Just email them and see if they will work aomething out with smaller bunches of plants and a variety of species...

WAY cheaper than any pet store around here... (I bought $16 worth of plants, would have cost me 25-30 locally.

BTW, moss balls and java moss are two completely different things.
Moss Balls are a naturally forming ball of moss from a region in... china (?)

Java Moss is a moss that you tie to driftwood/rocks/etc but every time I've bought it, it was tied up in rubber bands into a ball shape.
Make sure you have moss balls and not java moss. :)

LisaC144 03-14-2010 09:42 AM

Welcome to the forum, Rachel! Glad you joined us!

I just got 3 moss balls. 1 for my 5g, 2 for my 55g. I like them a lot. They add some character to the tank and if you put them by the filter, you can watch them gently sway.

For your tank, I'd add a couple stem plants, Java Fern and/or anubias along with the moss ball.

Byron 03-14-2010 03:40 PM

Welcome Rachel to Tropical Fish Keeping.

I second the previous suggestions for more live plants. Can't have too many:-). With livebearers, Vallisneria (esp the corkscrew variety) is a super plant, it loves the harder basic water and will grow very well.

Byron.

Pep 03-14-2010 04:26 PM

Rachel is from the UK according to her profile Red so she, like myself in Canada, cannot use Sweet Aquatics.... even though I sure would love to;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 343784)
For about 13 bucks you can order a few large bunches of stem plants from..

www.sweetaquatics.com

Just email them and see if they will work aomething out with smaller bunches of plants and a variety of species...

WAY cheaper than any pet store around here... (I bought $16 worth of plants, would have cost me 25-30 locally.

BTW, moss balls and java moss are two completely different things.
Moss Balls are a naturally forming ball of moss from a region in... china (?)

Java Moss is a moss that you tie to driftwood/rocks/etc but every time I've bought it, it was tied up in rubber bands into a ball shape.
Make sure you have moss balls and not java moss. :)

redchigh 03-14-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pep (Post 344162)
Rachel is from the UK according to her profile Red so she, like myself in Canada, cannot use Sweet Aquatics.... even though I sure would love to;-)

Well, depending on how much shipping is...
I could order it and forward it to you :-D
If you paid the shipping, of course.