Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   I have no idea what's on my glass (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/i-have-no-idea-whats-my-39128/)

KSASTER2 03-13-2010 04:57 PM

I have no idea what's on my glass

Ok can't take a pic becuase it's to difficult to see. I have transparent to like white spots/specs all over my glass inside my tank. They kinda had like tiny hairs or they move in the current. I mean they're everywhere. I wish I could describe this better. I thought it might be algae, but like I said it's whiteish. They're definatly attached to the glass and move in the current of the tank. And like I said the spots are EVERYWHERE. Some are very tiny other are a little bigger. The snails that hitchhicked in on my plants definatly eat the stuff. The spots get knocked off the glass and float around in my water it looks terrible.

Angel079 03-13-2010 05:17 PM

Hmmm is it spots more like a bubble with lil white dots in them (snail eggs)?
Or rather normal whitish built ups that easily scrub off with a sponge?
Or it it looking like super miniature white worms that move around all over your tank?

KSASTER2 03-13-2010 05:23 PM

definatly not snail eggs. I woud say they're not normal because they're expanding/ multipying. from what I have researched maybe daphnia or algae?

Angel079 03-13-2010 05:50 PM

Have you ever had brown brush algae or seen it somewhere's before? Does it look like it just wayyy smaller and white/clear almost?

Or is it rather something (like you said daphnia) that's more like a micro animals that's moving around your tank see any kind o body shape there anything?

KSASTER2 03-13-2010 06:10 PM

looks smaller and white to clear... milky

CSFishtank546 03-13-2010 06:54 PM

Sorry don't know.

Angel079 03-13-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSASTER2 (Post 343610)
looks smaller and white to clear... milky

Does it move at all (like a lil critter) or is it still hanging on to the same spot of glass forever (like algae would).

What happens if you try scrap it off with a sponge does it come off easily?

Edit: Man you know this would be a LOT easier if you lived in TN and I could just come by and see it lol

KSASTER2 03-13-2010 09:21 PM

I wish you could... I have no idea what it is. Its definatly stuck to the glass... not moving. It sways in the current. Like I said the snails eat it. The fish knock it off the glass my water had tiny particles floating everywhere. I've been afraid to scrape it off without knowing what it is. Wish I could get a pic.

Austin 03-13-2010 09:35 PM

Ummmmm if it's worms or something like that maybe you're overfeeding?

But I can't really think of anything it could be... could u at least try a picture? Maybe it's some type of fish egg or could still be snail eggs...

redchigh 03-13-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 343761)
Ummmmm if it's worms or something like that maybe you're overfeeding?

But I can't really think of anything it could be... could u at least try a picture? Maybe it's some type of fish egg or could still be snail eggs...

just a shot in the dark here... but could it be hydra? apparently tiny ones...
or planaria?

PS why would you be scared to scrape it off?