Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   29 gallon lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/29-gallon-lighting-39124/)

xjjoe01 03-13-2010 01:36 PM

29 gallon lighting

Hello all,

I have a new to me 29 gallon tank that is currently empty. I want to have a heavily planted aquarium and totally confused to which type if light and how much light do I need.

Currently, it is not set up. I have an eheim 2117 filter and substrate on the way to start, but I need to work out lighting. The aquarium came with a standard hood which contains a 30" fluorescent bulb (18W) that won't work. From reading here, I figure I need at least 60 watts for plants to grow. Also, there is a question of the newer type of lights, where wattage isn't as important as lumens.

What is everybody else using for a 29 gallon aquarium???

Any help is appreciated,

Joe

KSASTER2 03-13-2010 01:53 PM

Hey XJJ... I have a 29g (30"lx12"Wx18"H). I have it planted. It's my first planted tank and this forum is extemely helpful. I'm no expert by any means but I can tell you from my own limited and personal experience that I use the stock hood with a LIFE GLO bulb and it works great. After only 4 short weeks I have NEW plant growth and everything seems healthy and fine. The bulb that fits the 30" stock hood is a 24" t8 LIFE GLO it's 20w and 6700k. I'm sure others will chime in and offer there advise... but for me this bulb has been perfect althoug it is a little pricey at $15-$20 compared to bulbs you can but at home depot or lowes.

xjjoe01 03-13-2010 03:46 PM

Thanks for the info and is reassuring a low wattage bulb works. I have been thinking about chopping my aquarium hood up and installing a DIY CF light system.... I am still confused.....

Thanks again,

Joe

Angel079 03-13-2010 04:00 PM

Hi Joe,
no offense to the above good advise but lights from pet stores are just TOO pricey. You can either go get CFL screw in bulbs or T8 at the needed color from any well sorted Lowes, Homedeport or Walmart. These come by companies like GE, Bright Effects Phillips and are quite some cheaper.
What you wanna watch for is that you have a full spectrum, these are rated around 6500 Kelvin (Kelvin # will be printed on the box where you have the wattage listed) and then if you buy a T8 size I'd say get about 18-20W fixture and if the CFL screw in one's are to be used respectively less (they always have printed ont he box eg. 20W CFL = 100W something like that).

What happens if you have the wrong spectrum you plants will not thrive but algae often will. What happens if you have far too much wattage over the tank you will (no joke!) melt your plants.

What plants are you considering using??

xjjoe01 03-13-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 343586)
Hi Joe,
no offense to the above good advise but lights from pet stores are just TOO pricey. You can either go get CFL screw in bulbs or T8 at the needed color from any well sorted Lowes, Homedeport or Walmart. These come by companies like GE, Bright Effects Phillips and are quite some cheaper.
What you wanna watch for is that you have a full spectrum, these are rated around 6500 Kelvin (Kelvin # will be printed on the box where you have the wattage listed) and then if you buy a T8 size I'd say get about 18-20W fixture and if the CFL screw in one's are to be used respectively less (they always have printed ont he box eg. 20W CFL = 100W something like that).

What happens if you have the wrong spectrum you plants will not thrive but algae often will. What happens if you have far too much wattage over the tank you will (no joke!) melt your plants.

What plants are you considering using??

Angel,

Thanks for the advice. This is one route I am considering. Will 1 25w screw in CFL be enough light to grow plants?

As for the type of plants... I was thinking of something like this: (from Sweet Aquatics)
PLANT PACKAGE#1 includes the following:
1 Potted Sword
2 Potted Foreground (can be substituted for microsword portions)
1 Bare Root Anubias
2 Bunch Plants
5 Vallisneria
1 Aponogeton Bulb with sprouts
2 Bare Root Cryptocorynes
1 Potted Cryptocoryne
1 dwarf onion pot
1 Java Fern

in reality, I am green to this. For fish, I am thinking about a bunch of neons or cardinals so they can shoal around together. Nothing too fancy.

TIA,

Joe

KSASTER2 03-13-2010 08:16 PM

Joe thats the same pkg. I ordered for my tank its great. Also Sweet Aquatics was fantastic too. Those plants are doing fantastic in my tank with the bulb I mentioned above.

xjjoe01 03-14-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSASTER2 (Post 343755)
Joe thats the same pkg. I ordered for my tank its great. Also Sweet Aquatics was fantastic too. Those plants are doing fantastic in my tank with the bulb I mentioned above.

Thanks,

Joe

Byron 03-14-2010 02:51 PM

You're on the right course with what has already been suggested. I prefer regular fluorescent tubes to the screw-in CFL, just easier to handle, lights the entire tank evenly, etc. Full spectrum around 6500K, whether the Life-Glo 2 (which is a very good tube, but expensive) or comparable full spectrum/daylight tubes at 6500K for less money.

As a general background, you might want to have a look at the 4-part series at the head of this section, we call them stickies, on a Basic Approach to a Natural Planted Aquarium. One (part 4) covers light, but the others have inter-related information on low-tech natural planted aquaria.

Byron.