Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   finally pregnant!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/finally-pregnant-39123/)

biokid101 03-13-2010 02:18 PM

finally pregnant!!

This female guppy i have(layla) is finally pregnant!!well at least i hope she is :/. i think its pregnant because when i got her she her gravid spot was clear pinkish orange with a black dot in it but it wasnt a babies eye.today i noticed she had a much darker gravid spot and i looked at it with a magnifying glass and i can see the babies eyes!! i got her on the 5th of january and she hasnt left me any drops...yet! and i had 4 drops from other females.in total i have about 40 fry. i hope one of my males is the father because all my males look awesome!!and for the first time i will actually know who the father is when they grow up!! i have 3 males and 2 female.oh and my other female is pregnant too and she has had a drop of fry which r doing awesome right now! layla still has a lot of progress to make before giving birth. i think about 2 week maybe more left. im gonna keep track of her progress on here.

britnyjackson 03-13-2010 04:45 PM

Yay!! Congrats on the pregnancy! Omg I forgot I have this 1.5 gal tank that I used to have a betta in. Would it be ok to put the pregnant mommas in there until they have their fry and then leave the fry in there? Do I need to get a filter? Do they make really small filters? I guess it would be better then keeping them in a birthing net. What's your opinion? Thanks for all your help!! You have been awesome in helping me in this process!

biokid101 03-13-2010 05:08 PM

heyy thx.how far along is her pregnany britnyjackson?
if shes less than a week, it will be fine to keep her in there. if shes more it might be too small for her to be in.i am not sure if they make small filters but its worth looking for.u definetly can leave the fry in there. hope i helped.

Austin 03-13-2010 05:34 PM

If you can see eyes it usually means about a week left at most. :) I'm not sure, I can see eyes inside my platy who gave birth on February 26th (and I've been able to see them for a few days now... so idk! lol it's only been 2 weeks!!!)

Anyways congrats! :) 3 months is a long time though are u sure she hadn't had babies before??

@britnyjackson: Birthing net would be better if you don't have a heater or filter!!! If you keep your main tank around 76-78 which is ideal for livebearers, and your room temperature is say 72 degrees, then the temperature will be way different! In a small tank the temperature fluxuates more easily as well. Also if you don't have a filter maybe get some live plants and first make sure they are growing (meaning they'll use ammonia) so that her ammonia doesn't build up in the tank and become toxic to her!!! If not I'm sure they make some small filters. I have a tiny sponge filter (dunno where it went... but it was like 1 inch wide and 3 inches tall) try to find one of those. 1.5 gallons is still kinda small.

biokid101 03-13-2010 06:23 PM

a week left! i highly doubt she has a week left because she is not even fat! she is a little chubby but doesnt look pregnant.only with the gravid spot she looks pregnant. i am positive she hasnt had anymore babies because she stayed in that shape for the whole time. i never had a guppy give birth twice so i dont know how they look when they first get pregnant but i have one that gave birth 2 weks ago and she is waaayyy slimmer but still a little chubby..just like layla

britnyjackson 03-13-2010 06:32 PM

You know, I'm not sure how far along she is. I have a couple that I believe are pregnant. I have a dwarf platy and a black molly. I've posted pics a few days ago, but I'll post some more today. I don't see gravid spots on either, but the Molly is completely black, so it's hard to see anything! I don't want to put her in the small tank until I know she's close because I don't want to stress her out even more. Oh one more question, What's the best way to move the pregnant mom and the fry (if she happens to have them in the community tank)? I don't want to harm any of them!
You all have been a tremendous help!! Thanks!!

britnyjackson 03-13-2010 06:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's my black molly and a pic of my dalmatian molly. Do you think the dalmatian molly is prego??

Austin 03-13-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biokid101 (Post 343618)
a week left! i highly doubt she has a week left because she is not even fat! she is a little chubby but doesnt look pregnant.only with the gravid spot she looks pregnant. i am positive she hasnt had anymore babies because she stayed in that shape for the whole time. i never had a guppy give birth twice so i dont know how they look when they first get pregnant but i have one that gave birth 2 weks ago and she is waaayyy slimmer but still a little chubby..just like layla

Hmmm, my platy's develope their eyes usually a week before she gives birth or a little more... dunno though, if you can see their eyes that should mean they are pretty close... not all fish get huge... guppies might be a bit different than platies though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by britnyjackson (Post 343624)
You know, I'm not sure how far along she is. I have a couple that I believe are pregnant. I have a dwarf platy and a black molly. I've posted pics a few days ago, but I'll post some more today. I don't see gravid spots on either, but the Molly is completely black, so it's hard to see anything! I don't want to put her in the small tank until I know she's close because I don't want to stress her out even more. Oh one more question, What's the best way to move the pregnant mom and the fry (if she happens to have them in the community tank)? I don't want to harm any of them!
You all have been a tremendous help!! Thanks!!

I'm not sure I understand the last question correctly... How to move them? I move the pregnant mom and fry with a net and haven't had a problem. You can also siphon out the baby fry with a small tube if you want. Or scoop them up the a cup. The cup thing would probably be the BEST way but I don't see any harm with a net.

biokid101 03-14-2010 09:59 AM

britnyjackson the cup is the best way to go.ive been told alot of times to use a cup instead of the net so u dont actually take her out of the water.ur dalmation molly and black molly r definetly pregnant but i cant tell how far they r correctly.maybe they have 1 and a half weeks left or less.

today her gravid spot is darker and i see more eyes than yesterday..sometimes when i turn on the lights the gravid spot is clear but about 10 minutes later its dark again with eyes.how does this happen?

britnyjackson 03-14-2010 10:22 PM

Oh awesome! Thanks! I was thinking of using a cup, so I'm glad I'm on the same page as you! I have set up a small tank to put the fry in (for when she has them), and I was wondering what the best temp would be for molly fry? Does anyone know?