Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Still kinda fighting this algae (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/still-kinda-fighting-algae-39114/)

Grimmjow 03-13-2010 10:03 AM

Still kinda fighting this algae

So imagine ashing a cigarette onto a plant, that what this stuff looks like. I added more plants and it seems to have slowed down but its still there. I get out as much as i can every water change but its always coming back.

Its hasnt really been a big deal but i want to put a piece of driftwood in there but dont want it to be covered in this ash algae.

Any plans of action to rid this crap?

Angel079 03-13-2010 10:23 AM

Ash algae is a new one to me - Any chance you could take a picture of this for us?

What's your water parameters? How long has the tank been running how? Any odd chem's you use in there others then water conditioner?

stephanieleah 03-13-2010 11:09 AM

i think i have what you are talking about as well...is it sort of brownish in color? the less excel i use, the less "ash" algae i have lol. for osme reason i started thinking that maybe it was carbonate debris or something. i researched it and the closest thing i could come to was when there is white colored dust on the plants from calcium deposits. well, trial and error and i don't have the brown stuff on my plants when i don't use excel and i fert regularly. hope this helps (?)
edit: forgot to mention the tank i use excel on daily has the most of it!!!

Grimmjow 03-14-2010 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My phone camera isnt the greatest so it makes that light green plant look white but theres the stuff, picture took just after my attention starved betta did his pass in front of it.

Grimmjow 03-14-2010 06:31 AM

Just noticed one of the neons got in front of it, guess i cant win em all

stephanieleah 03-14-2010 10:29 AM

that actually doesn't look like the stuff i mentioned... you're right...it does look like cigarette ash! if you look close is it hairy or have strands to it at all? is it black like it looks in the picture?

Angel079 03-14-2010 10:32 AM

Hey yea a algae type I had NOT been growing in my 55g LOL

So let's sort this out for good: What are all your water parameters (NO2, NO3, Ammonia)? How long has the tank been set up & running? Whats your w/c schedule like? Is it attached or does it easily rub off when you run your fingers past it?

Grimmjow 03-14-2010 08:15 PM

I havent got a test kit yet, i learned most things from my dad and he never tested and everything just worked out. Its been set up for about a year but the tank and gravel has been there for many years cause it used to have a couple angels in it but after they died the tank just kinda sat there, I replaced the filter and heater and drained the water refilled it and drained it a couple times to clean out the gravel instead of taking it out and gettng new gravel.

Water changes are about every 2 weeks. The algae rubs off pretty easily.

Angel079 03-15-2010 06:30 PM

Setting the parameters to the side (and pers I don't find this non-testing approach quite wise).
Was this my tank/ my problem I'd do a good "rubbing it off" cleaning followed by a good w/c with a good gravel vac and then do 30-50% w/c weekly there for a while (amount dep on your stock) and rub-clean each time till all is gone.

Grimmjow 03-16-2010 08:16 AM

Ya Im gonna get a test kit, wednesday im gettin a bonus check so ill finally force myself to buy one. The only problem with rubbing it off and vacuuming the gravel (cause ive been doing just that) it that when doing it it gets like stirred up in the water and settles on the leaves and gravel after im done. I guess today ill try to knock it off all the leaves then let it settle then slowly vacuum the gravel.